Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Neck Size
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:09 pm 

I'm going to try this question one more time.

I went to buy a 330 the other day but was unpleasantly surprised by the thickness of the neck.

I remember my 70's Ric's as having the thinnest necks around, but the new ones felt like Louisville sluggers compared to the old ones.

When did this change and why?

Do any new Ricks have the old profile?

Post subject: Re: Neck Size
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:33 pm 

This agrees with, more than answers, your question, but I have a 1968 366 and it's neck is awesome (and most likely identical to the older necks you mention). I also used to have a 1966 360/12, and the neck was (seemingly) exactly the same. These are the only two Rickenbackers I have ever played with regularity.

In comparison, there is a 2004 330/12 at a shop locally, and the neck is like a thick dowell (or Louisville slugger at the base). It is demonstrateably different, and not to my liking.

People I play with are surprised at how much they like the neck on my guitar, commenting that they usually do not like Rickenbacker necks. This always surprised me until I played that 330/12, now I understand.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You won't believe how many profiles have been used over the years- it's changed to meet fashion and preference about as often as women's hemlines. In any case, you'll find that our Vintage Reissue and C Series have a much slimmer neck than modern models.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:13 am 

Howdy,

FWIW, I like the relatively "meaty" neck on my 2004 MG 360-6. Now if Rickenbacker could just bring "Burgandy-Glo" back! :)

Eggman

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:35 am 

Quote:
You won't believe how many profiles have been used over the years- it's changed to meet fashion and preference about as often as women's hemlines. In any case, you'll find that our Vintage Reissue and C Series have a much slimmer neck than modern models.
Another funny thing about this fact is that, contrary to popular belief (including my own for some time), the neck profiles are not limited to a particular era!

Case in point: I have a '67 330 with what we'll call The Thin Neck - a classic '60s Ric thin neck. I've found that many of the same models from this period have a similar profile. Yet this weekend I used my friend Kevin's '67 330 for one song at a gig, and, lo and behold, it has a neck profile that seems like an '80s Ric (we'll call that The Fat Neck).

Not long ago, I found a '90s 12-string which had The Thin Neck. Very cool. I may try to buy it when cash permits.

I also knew someone who had a 1997 SPC MG which had a quilt maple top and a Thin Neck - he sold it without telling me, and I've been razzing him ever since.

I like 'em both.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:36 am 

Quote:
Howdy,

FWIW, I like the relatively "meaty" neck on my 2004 MG 360-6. Now if Rickenbacker could just bring "Burgandy-Glo" back! :)
We did! (Ltd. Ed. color for 2001) People should have bought more of them! It's my fave Ric color, I was happy to see it come back and sorry to see it go.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:56 am 

Quote:
...and sorry to see it go.

Yeah... Burgundy looks pretty good on a certain 381/12. ;-)

Board index » Just Guitars