Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Re: Need advice on 650 versus 660
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:43 pm 

I would think that if you only install one and want a tele sound, you would put the toaster in the bridge position. After all, the original Esquire had only one pickup, and it was in the bridge position. Regarding the lower output mentioned with the toasters, I have a 660 and absolutely love it. It is just as loud or louder than my American strats, and my '62 tele custom re-issue. It will definitely get you the 60's vintage sound that you want, but I have also used it for some Hendrix and Zeppelin.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:52 pm 

Quote:
No way the 650 is going to get close to the soundscape you mention on your initial post.

I do not agree with this. But I must admit that it is a question of how you define "close" ... Let me remind you how difficult it was for some listeners to recognize a 650 among 5 guitars of which all others had single coil pickups in my "Little guessing game" thread. Some listeners even mistook a 650 with humbuckers for a 325 with toasters.

kvc, your idea to put toaster top pickups into a 650 makes sense. But you should exchange both pickups, if you do it. I have tried various combinations of pickups on various RICs and I always came to the conclusion, that two pickups of the same type sound best.

I doubt that you will prefer two toasters to the two humbuckers on a 650, but try it out yourself.

Please keep in mind that a 650 with toasters will sound similar to the 660 but not identical. The different bridge/ tailpiece also makes a certain difference concerning the sound of the two guitars.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:08 am 

DoctorNo - Much appreciated. The "little guessing game" thread was very useful. No great surprise, but I liked the sound of both Rics. And the 650 with humbuckers is surprisingly close to the 325 with toasters. Maybe that is precisely what Rickenbacker intends with humbuckers that sound like single coils.

So I guess my first priority is to find either a 650 or 660. Wish me luck, and thanks for your help.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:59 am 

Quote:
I do not agree with this. But I must admit that it is a question of how you define "close" ... Let me remind you how difficult it was for some listeners to recognize a 650 among 5 guitars of which all others had single coil pickups in my "Little guessing game" thread. Some listeners even mistook a 650 with humbuckers for a 325 with toasters.

Today, just about any electric guitar can sound something like another, just get a modeler and fiddle with it.

The question was, between either a 650 or 660 which would sound closest to the soundscape kvc described.

Without any shadow of a doubt and without too much fiddling with the knobs, the 660 is the closest of the two.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:53 pm 

mbrent, I did not use a modeling amp, when I recorded the examples I mentioned. All I did was to turn the treble control on the amp up a little and to use less compression. I did not say that the 660 wasn´t closer to the sound that kvc described. I just wanted to point out that the 650 can get pretty close, too, so close that it is not absolutely necessary for kvc to choose a 660 in my opinion.

kvc, let me sum up the reasons why I would prefer a 650 over a 660 for your first and only electric guitar: lower price, more ergonomic shape, greater versatility concerning its sound, no hum and noise and a superior playability. What is more - as you have suggested yourself - it is possible to get a very similar tone with a 650 compared to a 660, if you exchange the humbuckers for toaster top pickups.

Maybe I should add that the higher price of the 660 does not mean that it is a "better" guitar. Both models are built with the same high production quality. There are more expensive materials used for the 660 and it is more complicated to make a 660 because of the bindings a.s.o., but the 660 does not sound or play "better" than the 650 - it only sounds and plays a little different.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:24 pm 

For your first electric guitar and between the two models, I'd sy go with the 650 - You won't be disappointed.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:57 pm 

Get a 650D or 650S. The walnut finish is great. Little scratches and dings can easily be fixed with a little abrasive pad and some tung oil.
And if you don't like the sound, well get a couple of toasters ($200). But the humbuckers are just fine, IMHO.

Pierre

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:40 am 

+1 on the 650, a great choice. And if you really, really need the toasters, just change them and you will have a guitar whose sound is virtually indistinguishable from the 660. And you saved a lot of $$$.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:51 am 

If you can't handle the width of the nut on a Tele you won't handle the width of the nut on 650C !

Board index » Just Guitars