Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Rickenbacker 650D Custom!
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:44 pm 

Since my first decent guitar was a 60's 420 MG, I have always like the Cresting wave solid bodies. I modified my 420 ending up with three Gibson gold humbuckers on it. In 1975 I traded it for a '71/'72 Les Paul Deluxe. Last seen in the Madison WI area. If anyone knows where it is I'd love to get her back!

Fastforward to 2006. I decided to get a 650 D but I wanted Seymour Duncan humbuckers and a plain wood top (no pickgard). I sent a letter to Rickenbacker but was told they don't do custom guitars.

Well, I picked up a nice used 2002 650D Dakota off of eBay and ordered a set of Seymour Duncan humbuckers. I was getting ready to have the guitar modified when I was recalled by the Army and in June 2007 deployed to Iraq. Project postponed.

Now that I'm back, I had the guitar modified by The Guitar Factory in Orlando FL. Bill installed the SD pickups - a red SH4 JB in the bridge and a blue SH2 Jazz in the neck. He had to do some routing for the pickups and to get some space for the push-pulls.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e5/ao ... 50mods.jpg

Bill installed three push-pull pots. Each pu can be switched to single coil or humbucker and the 3rd push-pull is a phase switch.

The guitar sound great!!! I am very pleased with the Dakota and she will be with me a long long time! I love the 24 fret scale.

If anyone is interested in the orginal Rickenbacker 2002 humbuckers to be used on a Ric restoration project, let me know. Since my 650 has been routed the originals will no longer fit.

NOTE: I tried to embed the image in the post but I couldn't get it to work. I'm new here and I will try to figure it out. Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 650D Custom!
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:37 am 

It's too bad you didn't try the RIC HB-2's first before gutting the guitar.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:38 am 

Hi Aoresteen,thanks for your service! I mean that sincerely.Unfortunatly we are unable to post photos or hot link urls on this forum.If you want to sell your Rick HB pickups you should either go to the rickresource.com forum or put them on Ebay.They have a free "for sale" section for members of that forum.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:48 am 

I am sorry, but I think your modified 650D looks horrible and I doubt that it sounds better than the original with its Rickenbacker humbuckers, because the original sounds perfect - at least to my ears ;-).

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:52 am 

If you still wanted a plain wood top maybe look into getting a walnut pickguard made. I have a friend getting me a 650D from Minneapolis and can't wait to come home from Nashville for thanksgiving to see and play it. I only saw pictures before I jumped on it but I don't see myself being disappointed.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:20 am 

Quote:
It's too bad you didn't try the RIC HB-2's first before gutting the guitar.

Thanks! I did play the 650D guitar stock for awhile but it didn't quite suite my style. The HB-2's sounded a bit weak and a bit muddy to me. I play a Tele with a SD Hot Rails (bridge), Fender Lace Sensor (center), and a Barcus Berry (neck pickup), a '76 Guild M-80, and a '59 Gretsch Duo Jet and the stock 650 couldn't keep up. I wanted a 24 fret maple neck guitar with SD humbuckers for solo work. So far everyone who has PLAYED it loves it.

I realize that the conversion is not perfect (none are) - I would have prefered that RIC made the guitar routed for the SD humbuckers but they said no. My guess is that they just don't have the capacity to do custom work given their backlog. So I had no alternative but to mod a used 650D to get what I wanted.

I considered getting a Carvin as they would make what I wanted but I really wanted a Ric that was like my modded 420 from years ago. The 650D has delivered that and then some.

My 620/12 and my current 420 I've kept stock as they sound fine for what I use them for.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:36 am 

Quote:
I did play the 650D guitar stock for awhile but it didn't quite suite my style. The HB-2's sounded a bit weak and a bit muddy to me.

The Rickenbacker humbuckers (they are called HB-1s I think) sounded weak and muddy? They are the most brilliant and clear sounding humbuckers that I have ever heard!

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:35 pm 

My mistake. They are HB-1's. I always want to call them "2's" because of the end-to-end humbuckers that are on my 4002.

The HB-2's were on the 200 and 2000 series guitars and basses, and adjusted from the rear of the guitar.

RIC HB-1's are strong, bright pickups. they have great presence if you can find a pair in the 12-13kohm range. New ones get into the 15kohm range, which does tend to make them a shade midrange spikey. But they are still great pickups. I have one in my custom bass, which measures @14kohms, and it's big, bold and chock full of cojones.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:43 pm 

Absolutely hideous looking. Sorry.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:53 pm 

Hey jonking1,

You may want to buy Auresteen's RIC HB-1s. If that is the same 650 RIC that was on sale at Craig's List in Minneapolis, my nephew tried it for me and there was no sound.

The guy selling it said it was just the jack but wouldn't let my nephew take off the pick guard to look at the wires.

He offered it to me for $500 so the jack could be fixed.

I almost bought but wasn't sure about the inner works.

It was a great deal for sure. Hope it works well for you.

Best,

MMM

Board index » Just Guitars