Board index » Just Guitars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 650D Custom!
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:45 pm 

Quote:
Absolutely hideous looking. Sorry.

No worries. To each their own. I don't collect guitars, I just play them. To me the important thing is the sound. I have no problem changing a guitar if I like the sound better.

In fact, my '59 Gretsch Duo-Jet has a vintage 60's RIC toaster pickup in the neck position (from my original 420) and it sounds great for rhythm work and some jazz tunes that I play. The Gretsch boys are aghast.

What if RIC offered SD pickups as an option? Would that make them any better?

Of couse I would never alter a historicly significant Rickenbacker, but come on guys, this is a $650 eBay instrument.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:58 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I did play the 650D guitar stock for awhile but it didn't quite suite my style. The HB-2's sounded a bit weak and a bit muddy to me.

The Rickenbacker humbuckers (they are called HB-1s I think) sounded weak and muddy? They are the most brilliant and clear sounding humbuckers that I have ever heard!

Humm, maybe my 650 was defective? The pickups were weak sounding - the seller on eBay said he only played it a few times and kept it in the case. It's a Nov 2002 650 and I bought it in 2006 from the orginal owner. Obviously he wasn't thrilled with it either. It was hardly played when I got it.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Deluxe that I replaced the Epi pickups with Seymour Duncans a few months ago. The Guitar Factory in Orlando did the swap. Bill called me and said that there was someting wrong with the new SD bridge pickup. When I went to hear it, it was very weak and tinny sounding yet the pickup measured 10K ohms as it should. Bill pulled it and sent it to Seymour Duncan who promptly replaced it saying it was defective. The replacement SD was significantly better.

In any event the 650 sounds terrific with the new SD pickups and I am very happy with it.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:05 pm 

Quote:
Hi Aoresteen,thanks for your service! I mean that sincerely.Unfortunatly we are unable to post photos or hot link urls on this forum.If you want to sell your Rick HB pickups you should either go to the rickresource.com forum or put them on Ebay.They have a free "for sale" section for members of that forum.

Thanks! I really appreciate that! Iraq was an expierence to say the least!

Right now I am reluctant to sell the RIC pickups as they sounded weak to me and I would not want to stick someone with goods that may not be quite up to standards.

Question: I saw a couple of great posts by jingle jangle doing repairs & re-painting of Rics that had embedded photos in them. How did he get the pictures to show?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Question: I saw a couple of great posts by jingle jangle doing repairs & re-painting of Rics that had embedded photos in them. How did he get the pictures to show?
Everybody knows Paul has special powers!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:53 pm 

[quoteRight now I am reluctant to sell the RIC pickups as they sounded weak to me and I would not want to stick someone with goods that may not be quite up to standards.

I'll be happy to "dispose" of them for you, and will even pay the postage for you to ship them to me.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:19 am 

I'll have to paws and reflect on John's post about Paul.

MMM

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:39 am 

I get great full sound from my 650C, and wouldn't even consider replacing the pickups. Ric folks knew what they were doing when they built the 650. Don't change a thing, except maybe your volume and tone control settings.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:35 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Everybody knows Paul has special powers!

Mr. Hall, sometimes you just crack me up!

JimK

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:05 pm 

Personally I would have gone for pickups with the black and creme combination but hey, it's your guitar. As long as you're getting the tone YOU want that's all that matters!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:38 am 

Update! New Pics

I have never liked the chrome pickguard on the 650 Dakota. Since I had modded my 650, I decided to get a new pickguard.

I had one made of burrled walnut and had flame maple knobs made. The knobs are the exact size as the orginal chrome ones.

Here are some pics:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e5/ao ... kguard.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e5/ao ... kguard.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e5/ao ... detail.jpg

Roger at artisan guitar repair made the pickguard for me.

http://artisanguitarrepair.com/woodpick ... /index.htm

Brian made the knobs.

http://stores.ebay.com/Exotic-Wood-Knob ... itar-Parts

I like the wood on wood much better than the chrome. I've kept the orgiginal parts so it's no big deal to put them back on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Just Guitars