Board index » Just Guitars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Your tone recipe
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:17 am 

Howdy,

Please share your recipe for great tone with your Rickenbacker guitar. I'll start with mine.
I'm happy plugging my MG 360/6 straight into my red knob Fender Super 112 (all-tube, 60 watts) and playing clean; no pedals. Great combo for sparkling clean and satisfyingly chimey. What about you?

Eggman

PS: For raunch it's really simple: 360/6 + '68 Vibro Champ turned up loud.

Post subject: Re: Your tone recipe
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:40 am 

Rickenbacker + Mesa.

Main set-up: 381 with High-Gains into a Mesa Trem-o-verb 2x12" combo. HUGE tone - everything from the most powerful, fullest cleans to massive crushing distortion, and all points between. I also use a lot of pedals, mostly 'effects' but also a few fuzz/distortions, usually into the amp's clean channel.

Second set-up: 660/12 into Mesa Blue Angel 1x12" combo, for sweet compressed chime and jangle. Not so many pedals.

I also mix it up and use the Blue Angel as a more portable set-up with the 381, with a Mesa V-Twin pedal as the distortion channel. I rarely use the 660/12 with the Trem-o-verb - it doesn't sound bad, it just doesn't suit it as much as the Blue Angel does.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:30 am 

I plug my 330 straight into a Carr Mercury 1 X 12 combo (EL34 tube) and play primarily clean. The only pedal I will sometimes use would be my diamond compressor. With all my guitars, not just the 330, I'm trying harder to limit the number of pedals I'm using.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:57 am 

Howdy,

Mesa, Carr..we've got some real tone mongers here! Keep 'em comin, ya'll.

Eggman

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:25 am 

Like BlueAngel, I too am a fan of using Rics for brutal stuff. Sorry this post took so long to be made, but I had to do some amp related things before I posted. Because getting back my old Jetglo 360, Baby, was a tough propostion for me, I ended up having to not only trade all of my other guitars, but even my amp (time was of the essence for me - Baby would have been bought out from under me by another guitarist who expressed interest it it, if I'd taken the time to sell these items). As a result, until 3 days ago, I was ampless (other than a couple of Vox Amplug headphone amps).

Money is tight for me, but this past Wednesday after work, I went looking for a cheap amp to tide me over until I had the money for a Mesa Boogie, or an Orange (my amps of choice). I found a used amp in spades, and for stupid money to boot (on sale at 50% off, for not much more than the price of a cheap Squier guitar) - a Crate GXT-100. This is a 100W hybrid combo amp (tube pre-amp, solid state power amp section), with two 12" Celestion Silver Series speakers in it. It sounded OK at the music store, and for the price, I felt that with a little refurbishment, and some modding, it would have a lot of potential. After putting in a new set of pre-amp tubes, it's possible that my GXT-100 needs no mods. The old 12AX7 pre-amp tubes were either junky, or just plain shot. As soon as I fired up the amp with the new pre-amp tubes installed, I couldn't help but grin. The amp has a beautiful, shimmering clean tone (instead of the relatively flat one it had before). There's a great dirty blues tone too. As for the crunch point for me - mega gain: before it was kind of muddy - now it's like a nuclear weapon going off. Mega low down thump and crunch, with mega grind, and searing highs (that don't sound shrill) Yeah!!! Tons of that fabulous Ric note definition too!! Who says Rics can't sound brutal?! Believe it or not, I think I could even do thrash metal with my Ric 360 through this amp!!

With the cleans being so nice and shimmering, my Morley Sapphire Flanger sounds like a million bucks - nice and well defined. I MUST search for another Korg dual mode chorus (like the one I had to pawn off back in 2001) to use with my Ric 360 in this amp. I'm sure it'll sound positively amazing through it. I originally only got this amp as a stopgap - now I'm not so sure anymore. I've had good luck with hybrid amps in the past, and this one's turning out to be no different. As of now, my Crate GTX-100 is looking to be a keeper.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:11 am 

My most recent amp is a 65 Princeton Reverb RI. The Rics sound great going straight in.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:04 am 

My 360V64 straight into my early '70s Princeton Reverb amp with a Celestion G12M-70 loaded in it.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:18 am 

I plug my Jetglo 330 into one of two amps: either a Fender DRRI, or into a Peavey Classic 30.

For my tastes I find it best to add my Boss GE-7 EQ pedal into the mix. I tend to find both of these amps to be a bit on the "barkey" side (more so on the Fender) as far as the mids are concerned. It doesn't take much on the pedal as I just lower the mids a little bit. The only other pedals I use (sparingly) is an Aphex compressor and a Boss DD-3 delay pedal.

Nice and compact using either amp and some great clean tones.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:23 pm 

Fireglo 330 and a Vox AC30cc2
I use a Maxon OD808 overdrive.
If I need more distortion I use either a SPF Red Threat, Maxon D&S I, or a Maxon D&S II.
Also I use a FuzzFace from time to time.
I will be building a Tone Bender clone soon.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:46 pm 

Quote:
or a Maxon D&S II.

I am a big fan of Maxon, especially the CP 101 compressor and D&S II. I use these on my Valvetrain 205TB or Vox Ac15cc1. I like the OD-9 with a Tele and my PRRI or DRRI

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Just Guitars