Board index » Just Guitars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your tone recipe
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:18 am 

The more I play Baby, my Jetglo 360, the more I'm reminded as to why I basically moved heaven and earth financially to get it back almost 2 months ago, after so foolishy trading it in 1999 for a Fender Toronado at Mars Music. A short time ago, I was given a profound reminder of Baby's value to me.

Recently I got lucky, I picked up a Blackface Fender Bassman head for a decent price at a local music store. I had to put it on layaway (I don't have enough money to pay for it outright, until next payday). I live in an apartment, and even with an attenuator, a Bassman may be too much at times. I no longer have a need for my Crate GXT-100, since I'll have the Bassman head in a few weeks. So I decided to trade my GXT-100 in for a practice amp. The practice amp I bought, was a VOX DA5. With it's power scaling function that allows it to go down to a half watt, it seems suited for playing when I need to not tick off my neighbors.

As some of you may recall, I like using my Jetglo 360 for the heavy stuff. On the DA5's High Gain 1 & 3 channels, with the chorus going, my Jetglo 360 proceeded to floor me by sounding both brutal and beautiful in equal measures. The clarity, and the crunch, with that wonderful Ric high end shimmer (but NO shrillness) made me want to keep playing and playing. I didn't even consider plugging in my other guitar (a Danelectro Hodad). What a wonderful guitar!! I can't wait to play out live with Baby!! I tell you other gitarists don't know what they're missing by not having a Ric!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:46 pm 

Quote:
Recently I got lucky, I picked up a Blackface Fender Bassman head for a decent price at a local music store. I had to put it on layaway (I don't have enough money to pay for it outright, until next payday). I live in an apartment, and even with an attenuator, a Bassman may be too much at times.
Now you're making me jealous again...! :-)

I had one of those too (a '64 AA864 circuit, the most desirable) which I played through a 4-ohm-wired Marshall straight 4x12" with Celestion G12M-25s - still the best single-channel tone I've ever had. But it was LOUD! Which is one of the reasons I sold it eventually...

I did use an attenuator with it too (own-built, in those days as it was before they became common commercially) - it worked well, but not really down to low enough volume for an apartment. But since then I've discovered other solutions which might help you - in particular, the post-phase-inverter master volume (PPIMV) mod which works well on these amps. You can do it in an extremely non-invasive way, using the Ext. Speaker jack hole - I'll give you the full details after you've got your amp, if you like. It's extremely simple and you'll have no trouble doing it. Also make sure you overhaul the amp properly will all new electrolytic caps, screen and grid resistors - these will be getting very tired in an amp that age if they haven't been changed yet, and you don't want one to fail in use as it may cause other damage.

If it's not an AA864 you will probably want to revert at least the power section to that circuit too - the offset separate bias circuit on the AB165 is a real bodge - but ether of them are potentially great amps, and some of the most underrated and undervalued out there. You will need some sort of pedal or preamp if you want the kind of gain I know you do though ;-), even with a MV. (You can also use the MV and the attenuator together, which works better down to lower volumes than either alone.)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:37 pm 

Thanks for the offer. :) I'll keep it in mind, when I bring the blackface home. The place I bought it from had a 620, so I used it to get an idea of how my 360 would sound through the blackface Bassman. I also bridged the channels. I can see a lot of potential with that amp. It started breaking up around 5. Nice!! I slammed the front end with a Danelectro clean boost/overdrive - VERY nice!! That, and the price I was able to negotiate it down to (about $200 less than they typically go for - it wasn't even being kept on the sales floor, so it was obviously a slow seller) and watching a YouTube Bassman demonstration, convinced me to grab it. My cluster headaches cost me a pretty penny this time, so there's no way I'm going to be affording a Mesa Boogie or a VHT Deliverance any time soon. Here's the video that also convinced me a Bassman might be worth getting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAtqdf2w1Zg

Just a really great driving rock sound. I know some stoner rockers who use them with (and without master volumes), and get downright brutal tones out of them. What a bargain for the money!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:00 pm 

tone recipe update:

MOGAMI GOLD
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=338012

I bought several quality cables and like these the best!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:14 pm 

Eggman,

I plug my '88 360/12 into a Roland Cube 60 with either a Boss Compressor/Sustainer or an MXR Dynacomp.

Janglyman

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:02 am 

Seems like a lot of us use Fender amps. I use a lovely tweed - sounds awesome. I use no effects, only a bit of reverb and a bit of dirt from the amp.

I have tried Vox AC30's but can never get a decent sound out of them....

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:38 pm 

Howdy,

360girl: You are going to love that BF Fender. Keep fresh tubes in it and you'll be good to go.
Janglyman: One hears good things about those Cubes! How's the clean tone with that 12?
Recently I had the pleasure to plug my MG 360/6 into a freind's Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, an 18 watt, all-tube amp which is sort of a Vox/Marshall beauty. Let me tell ya'll that my 360 really roared through that pair of 10-inch AlNiCo magnet speakers! I was able to get a convincing approximation of "Get Off My Cloud", what a ball. :)
On a more disappointing note, that Sears Silvertone (an old amp which is purportedly a tweed Deluxe clone) was a let down. Too dark sounding and she went from 1st gear all the way to 4th with respect to natural overdrive; not my cup of tea. Today she didn't even work! Sorry for the novel. I love my 360!

Eggman

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:52 pm 

Quote:
Howdy,

360girl: You are going to love that BF Fender. Keep fresh tubes in it and you'll be good to go.

Eggman

Yep, I used a 620 that the store had (I didn't want to cart my 360 around in the cold to umpteen different music stores) to test out the blackface Bassman. Niiice!!! Breakup began at 5 on the volume knob, and ther was even more oomph with the channels bridged. With an overdrive in it, it sounded like a million bucks! Wimpy like the blackface Bandmaster head I had back in the early 90s? - NOT!!!

Ellen

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:28 pm 

360girl,

Interesting you like the Vox DA5 as it was written up positively in a recent edition of GP. I may have to look into getting one of these as my Hiwatts make it a bit tough to practice at decent volume levels.

I used to have a '68 Fender silver faced Bassman head that I had "de-CBS'ed" and ran it through a 2-12 bottom (I think it was a Concert or Bandmaster bottom - not sure). It used to dirty up around 4 or 5. Sounded great, but I parted with it for other projects.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:02 pm 

Quote:
360girl,

Interesting you like the Vox DA5 as it was written up positively in a recent edition of GP. I may have to look into getting one of these as my Hiwatts make it a bit tough to practice at decent volume levels.

I used to have a '68 Fender silver faced Bassman head that I had "de-CBS'ed" and ran it through a 2-12 bottom (I think it was a Concert or Bandmaster bottom - not sure). It used to dirty up around 4 or 5. Sounded great, but I parted with it for other projects.

Yep, the DA5 has turned out to be a very useful amp for me. I live in an apartment, so it's power scaling feature (that allows you to set full volume at 5W, 1.5W, or .5W) lets me get decent tone at low volumes, without ticking off my neighbors. The amp models aren't 100% faithful, but still pretty good. The effects are also decent (except for the flange, which I thinks sound heinous [waaaaayyy too much flange even at its lowest setting], so I use my Morley Sapphire Flange I've had for the past 11 years). I've even done some quick and dirty recording with my DA5.

My blackface Bassman is going to be mainly for gigging. I know some other guitarists, who have had good results with theirs, in playing heavy rock. Considering that the Marshall JCM45 was based upon the Bassman circuit, I'm not surprised. I'm still deabting as to whether or not I want to mod a blackface Bassman (no matter how reversible the mod is), or just use an attenuator like a THD Hot Plate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Just Guitars