Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: What year is my baby???
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:27 am 

Hi everyone. I'm new here so please be kind to this somewhat clueless soul...

I’ve had my Bass for many years now and I’ve never figured out what year it is. I’ve looked at a lot of websites about this and I’m still a little confused.

On the neck it says model 4001, and on the jackplate, it has an “RC” above the jacks and “1793” below. If I understand correctly, the RC means that it was made in March of 1978, but I thought that the 4001 series were from the 60’s.(!?!) No one website seems to explain this very clearly or give some good examples with photo ref.

I have some photos i could send someone, were they willing to further clear up these muddy waters for me. thanks in advance for any help, and I'm glad to find so many other admirers of one of the most stylish and distinctive instruments on the planet.

Post subject: Re: What year is my baby???
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:08 am 

Quote:
I’ve had my Bass for many years now and I’ve never figured out what year it is.

Using the Serial Number Decoder under the service tab, you can verify your Rick bass was indeed manufactured in March of 1978. You might want to check out the pictures of 4001 basses in the gallery from the 60's and the 70's for a comparison to your bass. If you provide a photo of your bass, the members of this forum on the website can give you plenty of info about your Rickenbacker.

Post subject: Re: What year is my baby???
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:33 am 

Quote:
On the neck it says model 4001, and on the jackplate, it has an “RC” above the jacks and “1793” below. If I understand correctly, the RC means that it was made in March of 1978, but I thought that the 4001 series were from the 60’s.(!?!)

The date is correct. The 4001 was manufactured from the early '60s to the mid '80s.

Board index » Just Basses