Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: My Baby aint too well !!!!
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:47 pm 

Right Chaps,

My 4003 has had to go to the local guitar Hospital as there is a god awful buzz coming from her. Now I know single coil pickups will generate a buzz or hunm as such but this is off the charts. I brought her to the local guitar doc who is actually even stumped himself as all the electronics etc are wired fine and grounded but still a god awful buzz which we both cant figure out.

Any of you folk have any thoughts as to where we can go from here. I have thought of replacing the standard output jack on it as a starting point.

Thanks

CHK08

Post subject: Re: My Baby aint too well !!!!
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:26 pm 

Not enough info. When you move around, does the buzz diminish or increase? Is it equally bad all the time? Is it associated with one pickup? Does it change when you touch the strings?

You may just be in a buzz-saturated area in which case I'd swap your pickups out for HB-1s... or of course you could RWRP but you'd only have one pickup setting that way.

Post subject: Re: My Baby aint too well !!!!
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:41 pm 

If the buzz is not directional (doesn't change as you turn the bass around while holding it), check the bridge ground connection - it goes via the mute damper (yes really!) and it could possibly be making a poor contact if the mute screws are loose and/or corroded. Use a resistance meter between the jack plate and the bridge and make sure you're reading under 1 ohm. If this is the cause you will also get no noticeable change in buzz whether you touch the strings or not.

If the buzz is directional, there's nothing wrong with the bass and the problem is elsewhere - it's just picking up interference from whatever is the source. If this is the case you will get less buzz when you touch the strings.

'Buzz' that's directional is actually a form of 'hum' - ie electromagnetic interference, not electrostatic - and usually comes from light dimmers or switch-mode power supplies (typically found in computers), so if you've recently acquired something like this or moved into a location where there's one nearby, try turning it off and see if the problem goes away.

Board index » Just Basses