Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: A New 4003 FG!
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:39 am 

I've just had an educational experience! I had been lured in by Music123's website announcing that 4003FG's would be "Available" on January 10th. I ordered one on January 2.

Once Mr. Hall indicated the "availability" dates were fiction because Rickenbacker doesn't give that information, I called Music 123 about it (since they wouldn't answer my email). The representative told me that my order for a 4003FG bass would not even go in to Rickenbacker until January 23rd! At which point, it might take up to a year to get the bass (of course given the order was at the end of the line!). "That's just the way Rickenbacker does business" she said. I corrected her. I said "No, that is just the way YOU do business... advertising available product when you have no way of knowing when it might be available and holding orders until you have enough to send to the manufacturer"! I cancelled my order right there.

I then did a thorough search of dealers in North America. There are no dealers in all of Canada with any stock at the present time. I had discovered a couple of FG's in stock last week at Ed Roman's in Vegas, but they were sold by the time I got back to him. I did find one lonely 4003FG with my name on it, in Texas. Thank God for Texas! Yahooo!!! (as we say in Calgary) It will be here within a week and I got a terrific price as well!

In my searches, I've discovered there are a number of online dealers specifying "availability" dates... Musiciansfriend.com and Sam Ash to name a couple in addition to Music123. I've just learned "available" means "the date we expect to send your order to the company".

Oh... and BTW... Music123 has 4003 basses with the NEW AMBER FIREGLOW color available in 2-3 weeks! How's that for false advertising??

Post subject: Re: A New 4003 FG!
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:54 am 

Yeah Pinto... it seems that's the way they catch us as customers. I had a similar experience just a couple weeks ago, with Musician's friend and samedaymusic. Both of them showed an available date of Jan 05 for all Rick basses.

I wanted a 4003 Jetglo, and they almost got me! Fortunately, I found a beautiful 4003 Fireglo in stock at Guitarville, at Seattle, and now I'm its proud owner :D

Good luck with yours!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:57 pm 

There seems to be a draught on new 4003's out there.
I wanted to go back to a "single coil" sound and sold my
4004 for a new 4003 blue boy. I think the color is cool and I'm expecting it this week.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:01 pm 

Quote:
I wanted to go back to a "single coil" sound and sold my 4004 for a new 4003 blue boy.

You sold your 4004....MMMuust HHHave BBBoth

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:59 am 

Here is my bass:

http://www.guitarrez.com/inventory/riki ... 003fg.html

They will ship it out tomorrow!

My question is (because I can't wait for the answer of course) since this bass has the walnut wings (you can see them clearly in the photo) would it have the new push/pull switch feature as well?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:20 am 

Congrats.....great to see another ric north of the border..I myself recently purchased a spanky new 4003fg in late november while visiting my girlfriend in minneapolis...ONLY THEN did i read the news about the new headstock wings and new tone mods....oh well...i still have a ric.......I win.

Board index » Just Basses