Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: SHHH! It's a secret!
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:21 am 

Hey everybody.

I've been jonesin' for a Ric bass for quite some time now, and have read some of the threads on this forum to learn more about these wonderful instruments. Some may call me obsessed... Okay, maybe I'm obsessed, but anyway, I was snooping around the internet for the cheapest possible Rics available, and just this evening, I came across this site...

http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/rickenb ... +4003.html

God, if these aren't fakes, I hate to let out the secret, but I need more experienced eyes on this one. So, Rickenbacker community, are these the real thing, or are they just cheap knockoffs.

Many of these instruments have different pickups than that which I've seen on stock Rics, but some look about right. Some even have the Bridge pickup guard. I would assume that they're fakes from looking at them, but the headstocks say "Rickenbacker" In that distinct font. As far as I know, it's VASTLY illegal to use their logo and pass it off as the real thing, but I need to hope.

I wish I could see the jack plates, if they said Rickenbacker on the headstock, and Ric-O-Sound on the jackplate, I'm sure I would be able to tel myself they're real long enough to buckle down and buy one.

Anyway, if anybody can tell me if these are real or not, it would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,
Lincoln

P.S.: Sorry for using so many words in all caps, I'm used to having italics.

Post subject: Re: SHHH! It's a secret!
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:28 am 

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, I hate to burst your bubble, but those are very, very fake. I wouldn't touch one of those. Put the $400+ toward a real Rickenbacker from a reputable dealer.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:29 am 

Fake as fake can fake.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:37 am 

And not even a good fake. Juat hang in their and save your money, you won't regret it!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:51 am 

Bah! Foiled again! The cheapest price I've found so far on anything but these is around $1200. I need to save up some money. The problem is that I just bought an EXTREMELY expensive violin, (We're talking 10,000s range.) and I just don't have any spending money left. It's gonna take me a while, but I swear on my life-- I WILL HAVE A RICKENBACKER!!!

It's still a major bummer, though... :(

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:20 am 

Yeah, the waiting is the hardest part, so the song goes. I'm not sure if I have it worse or better. I just picked up a well-used (a few dings, here and there) 1980 4001 for $1000 here in Canada (and given how rare they are here, that's a steal) but the truss rod spacer is/has always been totalled, and so the action is rather high. I need a new one, and probably a new truss rod assembly too. So, I have one, but it's really not in playable condition yet. It's the "So close, yet so far" scenario.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:10 pm 

These look good but are poorly constructed. There is a reason why Rickenbacker does not farm out to Korea and China. They're just not interested in putting out low-end versions.

Now I have heard decent things about the Tokai basses, but that's a different story.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:20 am 

Sometimes these sellers will use hijacked photos of authentic instruments in their web stores. If you decide to purchase based on the hijacked photo, you will not receive what is in the picture. You will no doubt receive a pile of crap.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:59 am 

Welcome to the forum! And one thing to learn is to know your prices by heart, or at least really well. Any Rick that is "brand new" that is below $1200 is probably fake or the seller is really stupid, usually it's fake though. Second If you look for a second hand instrument the best price I have seen for a VERY WELL USED,(AKA a beat to **** Rick)was around $700-$800. Also, like any other instruments, look for the little details that make that instrument special, for instance, the Fakenbackers had very weird headstocks while real Ricks have a curvy but elegant headstock, if I'm describing that accurately. Also, which you probably noticed, at the bottom it was talking about have these guitars mass manufactured in China and all the parts being from Korea?! WHAT?! NO RICKENBACKER HAS EVER BEEN MADE ANYWHERE ELSE OTHER THAN IN THE GOOD 'OL USA. God, seeing that made me laugh so hard. All of this message wasn't saying I'm a Rick expert or anything, I learned most of what I know from this forum and looking at the instruments for hours online :D

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:59 am 

I know what it is like to want a Ric bass. When I was a teen I thought I'd never have one. Now I have 2 4003's. Just save your money and keep your eye on the prize.

Board index » Just Basses