Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Headstock of model 4000
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:21 am 

Hello all,

New guy here, great site!

After having owned a model 4000 for years I only yesterday had my first encounter with another Rick-bass (a recent 4003) and saw the headstock is angled backwards. I also saw it mentioned in one of the Rick-factory-tour clips on YTube (7 degrees IIRC).

My curious question: since when is this headstock-angle used on Rick-basses?

My '73 4000 doesn't have it, the headstock is positioned slightly back but is 'flat', so in the same plane as the body. But that bass could sure have used it: it had a problem with string-tension at the nut when I bought it and required ~ugly string-holders to correct it.

That 4000 has been through hell though (shop-fire, severe heat) before I bought it, so who knows the applied headstock-tilt might have disappeared ?
Or is the tilted headstock directly made in that shape ?

Thanks & best regards,

Peter

Post subject: Re: Headstock of model 4000
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:41 am 

Quote:
My curious question: since when is this headstock-angle used on Rick-basses?

Some time in the mid-70s is when the practice started (my 1976 has a very shallow backward angle at the headstock, modern basses have a much deeper angle).

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:00 am 

The headstock tilt on RIC basses was never "applied". They were cut that way. Although the older Rick basses had almost no headstock tilt, a nice deep nut with the strings wound properly on the tuner post eliminates the need for string trees.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:57 am 

Welcome Peter!

My '74 4000 had a string tree installed when I bought it - I removed the tree and have never had a problem with string tension at the nut, though I have long been upset about the hole the previous owner drilled in the TRC. I note that my similar vintage 4001 has the same headstock angle (or lack thereof), so the 4000 was not a special case.

I tend to leave several windings of string on each post so the string branches out to the nut at the steepest possible angle.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:47 pm 

Quote:
though I have long been upset about the whole the previous owner drilled in the TRC.

Funny how you notice dumb typos only after the edit period for a posting has lapsed....

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:21 am 

I'm sure i read somewhere that the reason the 4003 headstocks are angled is to improve sustain.
Maybe someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i'm fairly sure that was one reason.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:31 am 

Hello,

Thanks all for the replies & the welcome :-)

Good info, I was just surprised to see the headstock-tilt on the 4003 (and I'm glad the RIC-case takes care of it - a regular case will 'conflict' with the tilt I expect), but it sure does make sense to have the tilt.

That 4000 I wrote about unfortunately needs the string guides, despite having the strings leaving the tuner as low as possible... but I must admit it doesn't totally ruin the looks of that bass, there are other factors taking care of that...

A pretty big contrast I must say - the worn blue 4000-body turning into dark blue towards the headstock and then that glossy newish 4003... first thought when I got my hands on the 4003 was that's not only wood, that's also quite some plastic ;-)

Bye all

Board index » Just Basses