Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: McCartney's best bass sound?
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:29 am 

Hi, all!

I was listening to Magical Mystery Tour and the White Album, when it struck me how great Paul's bass sound/tone is on those two albums. That doesn't mean they're necessarily his best songs--although there are great tunes on both albums--but his bass sounds fantastic! Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: McCartney's best bass sound?
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:48 am 

I love his tone on "Sgt. Pepper" and particularly on "Mr. Kite." Really seems to come thru better on the 2nd Anthology CD where they're rehearsing the same track. It's a real "thud" of a tone but very musical that fit's perfectley.

Also....listen to his tone on the "BBC" track "I Forgot To Remember." (That's GOT to be his Ric). The actual recording isn't that great because it's not taken from the studio, but rather from someone all those years ago who recorded it from thier radio as it was broadcast! Same "thuddy" tone but I love it.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 am 

Magical Mystery was the sequel to Sgt.Pepper,a unique point when they just retired to the studio.Lennon and Harrison put away their Ricks,so McCartney pulls out his and saves the day.His 4001 sound,with that muted tone,stood out to give those albums a new feel.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:12 pm 

Quote:
Also....listen to his tone on the "BBC" track "I Forgot To Remember." (That's GOT to be his Ric).

The song "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" was recorded in May of 1964 and at that time, John and George had Rickenbacker guitars however Paul did not. Paul was given the Rick bass during the summer of 1965.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:18 am 

These topics always interest me. There are numerous top notch bass players such as McCartney, Squire, Geddy that quite often can sneak in another bass (besides a Ric) and get that particular artist's "classic tone". I've read several posts here where somebody said "such and such song had that great Ric clank, growl, thump, etc.... when in fact those particular songs weren't even recorded with the Ric.
McCartney can lay down tracks, I'll guarantee you, where you won't be able to tell whether it's the Hofner, the Ric, or Fender. Squire is the exact same way. Geddy Lee fooled a bunch of us on what he was playing between the Moving Pictures and Signals albums.

The artist's playing styles, their sound engineers and equipment techs all have a role in defining their classic sound. Sometimes the actual instrument is the "least instrumental" (pun intended...LOL) piece of the puzzle.

;)
Fozz

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:53 am 

Quote:
These topics always interest me. There are numerous top notch bass players such as McCartney, Squire, Geddy that quite often can sneak in another bass (besides a Ric) and get that particular artist's "classic tone". I've read several posts here where somebody said "such and such song had that great Ric clank, growl, thump, etc.... when in fact those particular songs weren't even recorded with the Ric.
McCartney can lay down tracks, I'll guarantee you, where you won't be able to tell whether it's the Hofner, the Ric, or Fender. Squire is the exact same way. Geddy Lee fooled a bunch of us on what he was playing between the Moving Pictures and Signals albums.

The artist's playing styles, their sound engineers and equipment techs all have a role in defining their classic sound. Sometimes the actual instrument is the "least instrumental" (pun intended...LOL) piece of the puzzle.

;)

Fozz[/quote

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:11 am 

I've always thought that Maccas best bass sound( on the 4001S) came on the Wings Over America live recordings and Sgt. Pepper, MMT, and Rubber Soul.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:35 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Also....listen to his tone on the "BBC" track "I Forgot To Remember." (That's GOT to be his Ric).

The song "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" was recorded in May of 1964 and at that time, John and George had Rickenbacker guitars however Paul did not. Paul was given the Rick bass during the summer of 1965.

Wow! If in fact he's using his Hofner he got a great and differant tone out of it on that particular day.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:26 am 

Clifton mentions The White Album and I was always under the impression that Macca was using a Jazz by that point? I second the Rubber Soul vote . "Wou Won't See Me", "Nowhere Man", and "I'm Looking Throu You," are personal favorites! To me, the pinnacle of his Rick sound is Sgt Pepper. "Lovely Rita" does it for me!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:58 am 

Yes, I was listening to "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey" from the White Album, and I just love that great little bass break in the middle! Very cool! It does sound like he might be using the under-string mute and a pick on some of those White Album tracks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Board index » Just Basses