Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Where on your bass do you pluck your strings?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:23 am 

Hey...I've had my 4003 for a couple of months now and I'm still getting comfortable with it and learning its subtleties. Since I got the bass, I've always plucked my bass strings right on top of the neck pickup, resting my hand on the neck in the cutaway.

Recently, I've started plucking my strings right near the bridge, behind the bridge pickup/cover. Compared to plucking on top of the neck pickup, I find the sound to be much more thick, aggressive and raw. I've now also tried plucking in between the bridge pickup and the neck pickup, while resting my hand on the bridge pickup cover. I find plucking here created a an equally thick, but warmer, fuller tone.

I always play with my pickup selector in the middle selector position - a blend of both pickups. Have other players noticed the differences in tone when plucking on different regions of the string? I wanted to take a poll to see where most players pluck their strings! :)

Post subject: Re: Where on your bass do you pluck your strings?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:23 am 

I have a '98 4003 Mapleglo. I have the bridge p/u cover on, which forces me to pluck over the neck p/u. I keep my bridge tone max treble, and my neck tone max bass. I like the sound it gives me in church.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:36 am 

I have always preferred more of a "mid" position, but go all over depending on what the song needs. The chrome on the top of the neck pickup on my 4002, where I anchor my right thumb, is worn into the nickel cover.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:52 am 

Anywhere from over the end of the fingerboard to right up against the mute, depending on what kind of sound I want. But the most natural and best-sounding for 'general' playing is right over the bridge pickup. I really don't know how or why anyone leaves the cover on.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:54 am 

Quote:
Anywhere from over the end of the fingerboard to right up against the mute, depending on what kind of sound I want. But the most natural and best-sounding for 'general' playing is right over the bridge pickup. I really don't know how or why anyone leaves the cover on.

100% +1. I'd like to leave the cover on, but I find I agree with your assessment about general playing.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:29 am 

part of the reason I've always adored Rickenbackers is because to me, they're simply the most beautiful looking guitars... One of the things i love about my 4003 is the big shiny metal bridge and bridge pickup cover. I wont remove the cover simply because its aesthetically more pleasing to me :P And now that I use it to anchor my hand when i pluck strings in different positions, for me it serves a technical function as well :)

Quote:

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:13 am 

I can see how the cover works for some as a thumbrest. I used to use it for that. I just find that the "meat and potatoes" tone happens to be right under it! But I spent over a year with the cover on, fingerstyle, so I'm not dissing that. The Tubeampology Bezel makes me a lot happier with the cover-less situation.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:48 am 

To answer the original question:

Wherever I get the tone I need. I have played near the fingerboard to get a big, round, vaguely-upright-like tone (mostly for softer, more acoustic and drumless work). I mostly play back right next to the bridge.

I may get that bezel one day soon enough and give that a shot. I didn't think I would tire of having the pickup cover on there, but I think I'm starting to.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:12 pm 

Quote:

I'm in the same boat. I usually play with my thumb resting on the neck pup which puts about half of my hand over the bridge pups. I can't play this bass with the cover on personally, however, I'm far from a great bass player.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:34 pm 

I anchor my thumb on the little screw that holds the bridge pickup cover to the body of the bass. For me, it is in a very natural place to allow me to pluck the strings close to the bridge for a punchier attack. I sometimes anchor my thumb on the E string in the same area, though, if I'm plucking the D or G strings as a way to mute the overtones that can sometimes occur from the E string.

Board index » Just Basses