Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Ricks bass and Effects for enhancement
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:34 pm 

Hey all,

Just wondered what people use in their set up with their Ricks to enhance the tone? I never really use any kind of EQ compression pedals or Limiters etc.

Just wondered if their was anything out there that other Rick players swear by. Don't wan to feel i'm missing something!

Post subject: Re: Ricks bass and Effects for enhancement
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:20 am 

With my stereo wired 4001CS, I use a stereo Yamaha compressor,2/Yamaha PB-1s. One pickup also goes thru a Dan-O-chorus,Boss OD-1, and a Boss tremolo. I have fun with the sound of both pickups on with one chorused/compressed. I have TIjazz flats installed and with just those effects, I can closely approximate a decent McCartney-like tone.(like heard on Abbey Road) Anybody else?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:52 am 

The only things I've ever found worthy of using on a recording to this date are a Yamaha NE-1 and an Aphex Punch Factory. The end.

If I were to go stereo I'd put the PF on the neck pickup and the NE-1 on the bridge pickup and set the NE-1 to something like Shallow 7.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:53 pm 

Ricks work extremely well with effects - that's one of the reasons I like them. The natural tone is both very dynamic and harmonically rich, which give both level-sensitive and modulation pedals a lot to work with. And you can split the signal with the Rick-o-Sound so you can process each pickup independently - I know you can split a mono signal too and do that, but the R-o-S sounds better because each side is then a different mix of harmonics.

The bridge pickup in particular works fantastically well with overdrive and fuzz, especially if you have the 'vintage' cap because overdriven bass can often be too boomy and farty and lose punch, but cutting off the lows at the bass cures that - and if you then mix it with the neck pickup run clean you get the best of both.

I also like flangers, chorus, wah and a few other things either on the bridge pickup alone or on both. They even work better than many other basses with synth effects because the note attack is quite sharp which lets the pedal pick up on it and track better than a bass with a softer tone.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:03 pm 

Mt signal chain these days has been a '63 reverb RI, and a Sansamp Bass Driver DI which really gives me a lot of tonal variety and the tank 'tubes' up the sound quite a bit.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:07 pm 

Tech 21 makes ultimate bass pedals. I like to play mostly the hard stuff..hard rock ....... and leaning towards the Metal.
SansAmp Bass Driver DI is great for any bass and it's totally awesome with Rick Bass.
Tech just recently came up with a new version of VT Bass called VT Bass Deluxe .... there is another great pedal at your disposal.
If you want to spice up your music you can also use wicked bass effect called Tech 21 XXL-Bass which ....let me quote " XXL-Bass control manipulates the structure and balance of odd and even harmonics and influences their relativity to the dynamics of your instrument and your playing style. Translation: you can achieve a variety of results, even within the same setting, depending on the manner and force of your pick attack."
One of my good buddies is a pedal junkie. He loves pedals and he is endlessly looking for a new sound. One of his favorite combination is the SansAmp Deluxe + the XXL-Bass and so is mine.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:48 pm 

For a bassist, I have a fairly large pedalboard. My bandmates usually tease me a bit. But, from my Ric's output, I use the following- Korg Tuner, Barber Linden EQ, Trex Squeezer compressor, Boss SYB-5 bass synth and Roland EV-5 exp pedal, MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, Z.Vex Mastotron fuzz, EBS Valve Drive o/d, MXR Bass Envelope Filter, MXR Carbon Copy analog delay, Maxon FL9 flanger, and Maxon CS9 pro stereo chorus. Gives me tons of options for just about any tonal color I want. And, as Blue Angel already said, Ric's are so full, warm, and harmonically rich, the added effects seem to also sound quite natural. Afterall, you only sound as good as your weakest link. In my case, that would be my playing technique.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:07 pm 

I use an RBI and a Sonic Maximizer (Rack mount) for my straight tone. On the floor I have an old school Ibanez flanger, an EBS MultiDrive, a Dunlop Q105 and a Boss TU2 tuner.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:40 am 

Quote:
The bridge pickup in particular works fantastically well with overdrive and fuzz, especially if you have the 'vintage' cap because overdriven bass can often be too boomy and farty and lose punch, but cutting off the lows at the bass cures that - and if you then mix it with the neck pickup run clean you get the best of both.

Indeed. Just listen to Macca on "Think For Yourself" off the Rubber Soul album, although that is two separate tracks, rather than one track, since his bass did not have Ric-O-Sound.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:07 pm 

With my 2009 4003 Ricky, I use:

Human Gear Animato Disortion
Zvex Wooly Mammoth Fuzz
Boss ODB-3
Line 6 M13 (For mods, Delays, etc)

Going to invest in a rack noise gate and a compressor soon though!

Board index » Just Basses