Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: String Gauges
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:11 pm 

Hi all, with my new 4003 I've been having a blast... however I was wondering what strings to get it set up with. I USED to use GHS Boomers on my Fenders, but have now switched to EB Slinkies. I noticed that the gauge on my Ricky is very light and was wondering what gauges do you all use and what can u recommend? I was looking at Some EB Extra Slinkies (40-60-70-95) or to bring out the low end a bit more, EB Super Slinkies (45-65-80-100)

Which of these do you think will suit a 4003 with low action? :)

Cheers!
BOB

Post subject: Re: String Gauges
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:20 pm 

The standard guage is 45-105, but Ric strings are going to be much more flexible than EB due to the makeup of the strings. I highly reccomend Thomastik or LaBella. They're more expensive, but well worth it.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:40 pm 

Quote:
The standard guage is 45-105, but Ric strings are going to be much more flexible than EB due to the makeup of the strings. I highly reccomend Thomastik or LaBella. They're more expensive, but well worth it.

Dubhear,

have you tried the TI's on a 4003? I just bought another set of standard Ric strings (haven't put them on yet) but would like something a little stiffer. Are the TI's stiffer than the Ric strings?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:56 pm 

Well... my 4003 is still on order, but I have them on my 360, 5002, Fender Roscoe Beck Sig and all my other guitars, basses, orchestral strings and such. Thomastiks are one of the most flexible strings out there. I wouldn't call them "stiff" at all, even when they're at higher tension than the more common EB, D'Addario, Markley, GHS strings that most stores keep in stock. They also tend to last several times longer.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:01 pm 

Quote:
Well... my 4003 is still on order, but I have them on my 360, 5002, Fender Roscoe Beck Sig and all my other guitars, basses, orchestral strings and such. Thomastiks are one of the most flexible strings out there. I wouldn't call them "stiff" at all, even when they're at higher tension than the more common EB, D'Addario, Markley, GHS strings that most stores keep in stock. They also tend to last several times longer.

Do you use flats or rounds on your Roscoe Beck?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:10 pm 

Flats, flats on EVERYTHING.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:17 pm 

I've got flats on all my Fenders, but I'm in a band that mostly does rock so the round's fit better for the sound. I do use my J basses for the blues songs that we do. I've got 9050's on them....talk about tight!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:57 am 

I use D'Addario Roundwounds on my 4003, (.095 E) with stellar results. My bass really seems to come alive with these strings.
I've tried some others, rotos, GHS, Blue Steel, but the D'Addarios have a really strong low-end, (even with the light guage) are very easy to play on (for me at least), and they seem to last a lot longer than the others that I've tried.

It really depends on the sound you want and how the strings feel to you, there's no "magic set." It took me a few tries to really get what I was looking for.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:40 am 

Does anyone use Elixir bass strings? I eat strings with my body chemistry, so I've been using Elixirs on my acoustics. With the price of bass strings, if they sound okay, I might want to have them on my 4003.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I eat strings with my body chemistry.
Maybe if you'd eat some vegetables, it'd go better. Besides, all those strings must be tough to digest. But at least you'd be getting a good supply of iron.

Board index » Just Basses