Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: 4003 Backorder
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:02 am 

Hi I'm new to the forum, and it is very cool to see how people are so enthusiastic about their instruments.

I purchased a 4003 for the first time back in early December from Musician's Friend website, and it is still on backorder; the date keeps getting pushed.

I'm anxious, especially after seeing this website and reading the posts. I'd like to send a message to all of the craftsmen/craftswomen that even though I'm anxious, obviously I'd much prefer the instruments be built properly and wait until the paint and glue are dry rather than sending them out early.

If anyone is in the know, is there a rough guess as to when I could expect my 4003 to arrive?

Thank you, I enjoy reading all your messages.

Post subject: Re: 4003 Backorder
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:14 am 

When the UPS guy drives up to your door.

In the meantime you may want to read this whole thread:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum_view_ ... &p=p#11579

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:15 am 

As I discovered, with the help of Mr. Hall, the "availability" dates on these sites is just fiction. It was explained to me that they don't even send their orders for 4003's to Rickenbacker until well after you've placed your order on their site. I ordered on January 6 and they were not sending the orders in until January 27. At that point, you're at the end of the line and shouldn't expect your bass for at least a year. I had assumed based on their availability dates, they had ordered units on spec and were expecting shipment based on orders these orders they had placed months ago. Totally naïve! There are people here that have been waiting for months!

I don't have ANY problem with the amount of time it takes Rickenbacker to build and ship a bass. If they spend three days on just the finish... woohoo! ... that's terrific. But for MF or Music123 to sucker customers with "availability" dates they just pull out of their butts... that's a different matter.

I cancelled my order with Music123 and found a 4003 in stock at Guitar Rez in Austin Tx. Great guys!!!! Wonderful service!

The whole story is on the thread johnallg posted above.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:27 am 

Wow... I had no idea. I'm definitely going to search around and see if I can't find a 4003 somewhere else.

I'm a little dissapointed too. I much prefer an honest answer, and if that means it's a long wait then at least you know.

Thanks

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:38 am 

Quote:
Wow... I had no idea. I'm definitely going to search around and see if I can't find a 4003 somewhere else.

I'm a little dissapointed too. I much prefer an honest answer, and if that means it's a long wait then at least you know.

Thanks

Don't be bummed - use the link off the 4003 page to see who recently was shipped one.

[edit] In fact this dealer lists 3 - two JetGlo and one fireGlo:

Willie's American Guitars Inc.
254 Cleveland Ave. South
St. Paul, MN 55105

He also lists a 4001C64 in FireGlo but that would be more pricey.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:45 pm 

i spoke to musicians friend customer service they assured me they're on the way !!! i've been waiting sence december. a very late christmas for me but i now it will be worth the wait. (4003 jet glow) kinda worried about the finish problems i read on another thred ?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:34 pm 

Well I ordered a 4003mg from ams early in December and was told repeatedly [by some very nice folks] that the order was to arrive shortly. I became impatient, so I checked the rickenbacker site for recent shipments and found that both guitarville (in Seattle) and eddiesmusic (in St. Louis) had mapleglos in stock. Guitarville was inflexible in price, but Nathan at Eddie's nearly matched ams' price. A few days later, a shiny, beautiful instrument arrived at my door. The finish and sound are wonderful, however, the truss rods need tightening - something that I will leave to my favorite local luthier.

It's 1/19/06 and still ams does not have any 4003's in stock.

Every guitar seems to have its own unique personality, so it was difficult for me to order online (sight unseen.) The neck on my 4003 is slightly chunky near the first fret (definately thicker than the 4001v64s that I recently played) but nicely rounded and very comfortable to play - similar to the neck on my Martin D28.

I'm real happy.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:54 pm 

Quote:
i spoke to musicians friend customer service they assured me they're on the way !!! i've been waiting sence december. a very late christmas for me but i now it will be worth the wait. (4003 jet glow) kinda worried about the finish problems i read on another thred ?

Ask MF when they actually sent the order for your 4003 in to Rickenbacker and then add a year. Music123 wasn't even going to submit the order for a month after I had place my order! As far as I have heard from people on this site (especially JH) Rickenbacker ships guitars in the order in which they are received depending on what models are currently in production. Their production cycle (again from interviews with JH) is roughly 13 weeks. Each cycle they will produce different models. So even though they receive an order for a 4003, that does not mean it goes into production right away. It might take months before that model is back in production again. The good news is 4003 basses and 300 series guitars are the most produced models at RIC because they are the most popular.

I just wasn't prepared to wait a year for a guitar. I waited six months for my 2004 AmDlx 50th Anniversary Strat to be made and shipped and that was excruciating!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:32 pm 

You would have self destructed if you waited for two years for your bass and they cancelled the order.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:03 am 

Quote:
You would have self destructed if you waited for two years for your bass and they cancelled the order.

OMG! Who is "they"?

Board index » Just Basses