Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: 4003 buzz when touching strings (pole height?)
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:09 pm 

recently received my '06 jetglo 4003. it is perfect. unbelievable.

i have one "complaint" so to speak:

i noticed when i touch the strings, sometimes on contact i will get a small "click" or "blip" sound. some louder than others, but relatively quiet. and it wouldn't be a big deal, but i play with reverb/delay, and sometimes the clicks get caught in the repeats.

well, i thought it had to do with the input jack into the bass. i noticed that the rick o sound jack "locked in" better than the standard jack. and pushing on the cable, pushing it into the bass made the buzz go away. obviously i can't sit and hold the cable in because then i couldn't play, and i think i tightened the nut on the jack as much as possible.

playing just a few minutes ago, i started checking out the pups. i came to realize the pole heights on the pickups has a signifigance after reading around the forum.

well, i put my thumbnail on the tallest pole on the neck pup and the buzzing went away. i fretted all over the bass, almost like playing a harmonic, and no buzz/click.

so what do i do to eliminate this little click? thank you very much for reading and helping out. if i get this fixed i will be more than happy.

- morgan

Post subject: Re: 4003 buzz when touching strings (pole height?)
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:59 pm 

Can't help you with the "Click" other than to say the pole pieces are adjustable I think. You may be hitting one inadvertently while you play.

I can tell you that you don't want to plug a cord into that Ric-O-Sound jack unless you are using a stereo to dual mono cable. It's for sending the pups to different amps/channels. Many, many threads here on it.

Post subject: Re: 4003 buzz when touching strings (pole height?)
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 pm 

no i just plugged into the rick o sound to compare to the standard jack. i didn't have my amp on.

the buzz comes about when i barely touch the strings on the fretboard. i will place my finger on a string like i'm playing a harmonic and i will get a tiny noise.

Board index » Just Basses