Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Q's on some stuff i cant figure out.
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:47 am 

okay, say i play the 9th fret on the G string, i get this interferance from my D string, like it vibrates and sort of blends a D with the 9tth fret on the G and creates a wavy kind of sound, it does this for every 9th fret and open string. could it be the strings?

Another Question is.... whats this awful Hum buzz i get out of my amp when im playing? is it the single coil pickups? or is something wrong with the pickups?

Im pretty sure thats all i got.
Oh and, how do i know if i need to adjust my truss rods?

Thanks in advance guys!

Post subject: Re: Q's on some stuff i cant figure out.
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:00 am 

It also does that wavy thing on other frets too. as i now realize.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:33 pm 

Quote:
okay, say i play the 9th fret on the G string, i get this interferance from my D string, like it vibrates and sort of blends a D with the 9tth fret on the G and creates a wavy kind of sound, it does this for every 9th fret and open string. could it be the strings?

Another Question is.... whats this awful Hum buzz i get out of my amp when im playing? is it the single coil pickups? or is something wrong with the pickups?

Thanks in advance guys!

That 'humbuzz' you hear is the lovely sound of single coil pickups. Strats do this as well. The Fender Gear newsletter is call "60 cycle Hum" because the sound you are hearing is from the 60 cycle power wave from computer monitors, fans, generators etc. being induced into the pickup. You'll find if you move your bass so the pickup poles are pointing at right angles or away from the source of the power wave, you'll reduce the hum. Distance from the source also helps. Turning off the source REALLY helps! Turn of your computer or your lights that are on a dimmer switch (very noisy).

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about with your "interference" question but I'm assuming the "wavy" sound is what we call "beats" when two notes very close in pitch are sounded together. The wavelengths, because they are slightly different, tend to cancel each other and then reinforce each other as the waves intermix causing that WOAHwoahWOAHwoah sound. This is how strobe tuners work too, visualizing that interference pattern. So your bass might be slightly out of tune or the intonation might be off slightly.

If you are getting the sound on your D string while playing your G string, it is because your D is sympathetically vibrating along with the G. Easy solution, palm mute the other strings while you are playing.

Sorry for the long answer but I'm a professor and short answers are a challenge for me! :)

Doug

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:27 am 

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance guys!

That 'humbuzz' you hear is the lovely sound of single coil pickups. Strats do this as well. The Fender Gear newsletter is call "60 cycle Hum" because the sound you are hearing is from the 60 cycle power wave from computer monitors, fans, generators etc. being induced into the pickup. You'll find if you move your bass so the pickup poles are pointing at right angles or away from the source of the power wave, you'll reduce the hum. Distance from the source also helps. Turning off the source REALLY helps! Turn of your computer or your lights that are on a dimmer switch (very noisy).

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about with your "interference" question but I'm assuming the "wavy" sound is what we call "beats" when two notes very close in pitch are sounded together. The wavelengths, because they are slightly different, tend to cancel each other and then reinforce each other as the waves intermix causing that WOAHwoahWOAHwoah sound. This is how strobe tuners work too, visualizing that interference pattern. So your bass might be slightly out of tune or the intonation might be off slightly.

If you are getting the sound on your D string while playing your G string, it is because your D is sympathetically vibrating along with the G. Easy solution, palm mute the other strings while you are playing.

Sorry for the long answer but I'm a professor and short answers are a challenge for me! :)

Doug

better long answers than short. I know my intonation is slightly off, its a litte sharp..
how would i know when to adjust up my truss rods?
I ask because i dont think they have been adjusted since the previous owner of this bass died......

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:07 am 

Hi, Uncle Fester didnt you just take off the treble p/u cover? If you did not ground your bass I believe you will have a buzz. All my ric (3) have the p/u covers off and I have no buzz usless Im standing right next to the amp. From what you are saying the buzz is loud, this is not right. Make sure your black ground wire is grounded from the p/u to the crome housing of the back p/u. it should stop the buzzing, the ground wire is the wire that has the ring eye on it.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:41 am 

Quote:
better long answers than short. I know my intonation is slightly off, its a litte sharp..
how would i know when to adjust up my truss rods?
I ask because i dont think they have been adjusted since the previous owner of this bass died......

John Hall's recommendation is to adjust your truss rods so the neck is absolutely flat (lay an 18" straight-edge down the neck) then raise or lower the action at the bridge to suit your playing style. It certainly worked for me! I was surprised too! I've always had some relief in all my guitars before this.

As to the hum issue, Grendel is right on about the grounding of your treble pickup. If you have taken the cover off and missed putting the little ground ring back on the bolt before reinstallation, that'll give you plenty of the 60Hz buzz!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:02 am 

Quote:
Hi, Uncle Fester didnt you just take off the treble p/u cover? If you did not ground your bass I believe you will have a buzz. All my ric (3) have the p/u covers off and I have no buzz usless Im standing right next to the amp. From what you are saying the buzz is loud, this is not right. Make sure your black ground wire is grounded from the p/u to the crome housing of the back p/u. it should stop the buzzing, the ground wire is the wire that has the ring eye on it.

im pretty sure the ground was put back on. its supposed to be screwed in on top of the spring right?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:58 am 

JUst make sure the screw/bolt goes into the eye ring. If you still have a loud buzz, you may need to take the bass to the shop.:)

Board index » Just Basses