Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Replacement 4003 Pickups
 Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:59 am 

Hi

Has anyone out there tried any other pickup on a 4003, other than the Rick stock ones?
I have a 2007 Blue Burst 4003 and I find that the output of the pickups seems really weak when compared to my other basses (Jazz Bass and Thunderbird).
They are also fairly inconsistent across the strings, even after a decent set-up.

For this reason I'm not really using the Rick at the minute, and always gig with one of the other two, which just doesn't seem fair on her!!!

Was considering swapping the pickups for something with a bit more beef, like the Seymour Duncan pickups.
If anyone has any experiance of these, or any other type of pickup please let me know as I'd like some opinions before shelling out £170.00.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Replacement 4003 Pickups
 Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:42 am 

I had a set of SD pickups once in a 4003. The original pickups were reinstalled soon after. Use your amp and pedals and playing technique to beef up your sound.

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:08 am 

I've been advised on another forum that the pickups may need to be rewound, can anyone give any advice on this as I don't even know what that means.
Maybe it's a set-up issue as I just can't get the bass to sound decent. Any advice on EQ for the bass or amp that would help.
Thanks again

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:12 am 

A good setup (including a pickup adjustment) should sort it right out, I would think.

Is the neck flat? If it has too much relief in it that would cause some resonance issues which would compromise the tone. A good setup would fix this. I was upset about some dead spots my 4003 had until it got a good setup. Now the neck is very straight, it plays absolutely buzz free, and all the dead spots are gone!

Maybe the pickups just need to be adjusted up a bit. Being a 2007, it should also have the adjustable magnetic pole pieces (right?). Working with those might help to balance the output a bit.

I'm really pretty sure that a good sound is in that bass. You just might need to find it!

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:23 pm 

Pretty much all of the Rick replacement pickups out there were kinda lame and did not have a Rickenbacker tone. But recently Joe Barden started making a set of Rickenbacker Replacement pickups that have a Rickenbacker tone. I was unwilling to believe they would sound good until I played a bass with the Barden pickups. I am impressed. They are a good sounding well made pickup that gives you 85% to 90% of the "rickenbacker" tone in a humbucker. This means your 4001/4003 can still sound like a Ric and not have single coil hum. The pickups are pricey. They are also a direct drop in replacement, you do not have to remove wood or plastic.

Also you can put 4004 pickups in a 4001/4003 bass.

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ric5 wrote:
They are also a direct drop in replacement, you do not have to remove wood or plastic.

. . . . except that you have to donate the covers from your existing pickup, making them fairly unsaleable, in case you wanted to help finance the purchase

Ric5 wrote:
Also you can put 4004 pickups in a 4001/4003 bass.

. . . . which is what the Barden seems to replicate. And covers are included, for less money too.

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:15 pm 

HB-1s in a 4003 sound great. I just wish they worked better with machine screws.

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:52 am 

You can glue a small nut on the HB1 to make it work better with a machine screw.

You can also buy extra pickup covers so you don't have to take one from an existing pickup to put on a Barden pickup.

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:38 pm 

You can also drill and tap an HB1 pickup for the next size up machine thread screw.

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ric5 wrote:
You can also buy extra pickup covers so you don't have to take one from an existing pickup to put on a Barden pickup.

Really? Where?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Just Basses