Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: long post, flatwound string advice
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:15 am 

I've been using flatwounds for a year now, and have tried out Fender Flats, Joe Osborn Flats and Tetrahedrons.

The fender flats were thumpy and defined but were super tight and uncomfortable, and they pulled the neck severely, and this is on a 2004 4003 with the super chunky neck!

Then I tried Joe Osborn flats and they were good, but after about a month or so I noticed the windings seperating in a few places. At the next gig (IPO LA) my "A" broke and I played 3 string bass.

Then I got the Tetrahedrons. They did have a certain complexity in the tone that was nice but the "E" string was so dead. It sounds really bad going from the "A" to the "E". So I was disapointed to say the least especially since these strings are so pricey.

Then last month I got a 4001c64s (YAY!). I am not a roundwound fan so I decided to go with the Joe Osborn flats again, and put a medium set on. The sound was perfect! The ""D" was tight at the nut so I then decided to try Joe Osborn lights. They fit well, but the "A" was dead. Just kinda sounded strangled. I also noticed that over the saddle, the "A" is starting to seperate a bit. Are the JO strings just weak? I love the way the c64s plays and feels so I don't want a string breaking. But it's only been a few weeks and just recording and rehearsing, what gives? I thought that since I picked closer to the bridge on the 4003 that that may have made the string break at the saddle, but on the c64s with the horseshoe pup I am picking way up by the neck, with a lighter pick since the strings are floppier there(sounds way way better, in fact I put the bridge pup cover back on my 4003!).

I am about to change them, and put a new set of Joe Osborn lights on. Wish me luck!

Post subject: Re: long post, flatwound string advice
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:27 am 

I put on a new set of Joe Osborn light flats, and same thing. The tone of the A is dramatically different than the D.

I then put the JO medium flats back on, and they sound a lot more even, and just better overall. I may need to adjust the trussrods as the neck is bowing a tad.

I guess what I am looking for is a more balanced set of strings.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:31 am 

I also noticed with great amusement that when I typed in the name of a certain german string company, named after a type of ancient egyptian building, the name was changed to tetrahedron!

Tetrahedron!

LOL!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:10 pm 

Thomastik or LaBella... pricey, but well worth it. I've never heard of Joe Osborne strings, so I can't really say anything about them, but Thomastik are apparently the closest thing to the original Ric flatwounds, an I find LaBellas are very similar to the Thomastiks, just a little more bass-focused tonewise.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:59 pm 

LOL! At first, when reading this thread, I was wondering "Hmm, I wonder where you can buy Tetrahedron strings." :-)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:30 pm 

REPLY: I am using LaBella flat wound on my five string cii and they are a great string.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:17 am 

D'Addario Chromes are flatwounds that also give a bit of the treble range too. Great clarity and definition, especially the E.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:53 am 

Hey Johnallg are you using the D'Addario ECB80- 40,60,75,95 or the ECB81- 45,65,80,100

The only reason why I'm asking I have a 4003FL Blue Boy w/vintage pickup coming in very shortly and I want to get a set of D'Addario chromes for my fretless but not sure which guage to get.
FISH

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:33 am 

Go with the ECB80 set and also buy a single .055 string to replace the .060 D string. You will find this gives a better balance tensionwise to the set.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:30 am 

Quote:
Hey Johnallg are you using the D'Addario ECB80- 40,60,75,95 or the ECB81- 45,65,80,100

The only reason why I'm asking I have a 4003FL Blue Boy w/vintage pickup coming in very shortly and I want to get a set of D'Addario chromes for my fretless but not sure which guage to get.
FISH

I use the ECB81 set for a bit more low end. Still has the clarity and treble capability as I stated.

I also have a vintage pup at the neck on my 4003 (birthday present from my wife) and I unwound the bridge pup to 7.84k to match the earlier pups. More of a refined clarity and retro tone.

Board index » Just Basses