Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Rickenbacker Copies
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:32 pm 

I know, I know, they're illegal. but I think most of us, ric lovers started out with a copy. I myself have had a copy for the last 22+ years. Now i've got the REAL thing (a 4003 mapleglo, which, as of now, I didn't receive yet, but hope to get before June ends)

I NOW agree with Mr John Hall's politics of not allowing ric copies to be made, neither selling the name plates, that helps keep the ric name associated with the REAL ric quality. As a side effect it also helps keep the copies more valuable :-), but fortunately prevents them from being sold as rics.

I bought mine copy in 1984, paid approx 120$ (it was used) and gave my Fender Jazz copy as part of the trade (which I now regret, I should have kept it as my first bass). She has nearly everything: neck-through, stero/mono outputs, and even dual truss-rod. You can se her here http://www.dc.fi.udc.es/os/~afyanez/nearly-ric/

has anyone got other copies?, I know there are at least univoxes, and Ibanez, but never got to get hold of one.

By the way, if you want to see some great ric-sightning get the GovtMule deepest End 2CD+DVD. in the DVD you can watch Les Caypool get a very interesting sound from a (I think) 4003

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker Copies
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:57 pm 

I believe 4001 copies with two truss rods weren't exactly common.
As for the bridge/tailpiece assembly on your bass, I'm sure it was modified somewhere along the line. And that neck pickup looks almost hand-made! As for the rest of the bass, it looks reasonably well made and apparently is a fairly good attempt at copying a real Rickenbacker bass.
Fake 4001 brands included Aria, Diamond, Greco, Ibañez, Cimar, Gherson, Sigma, Univox, Electra, Nagoya, Fernandes, Maya and a few others I can't recall right now. I've seen a few of those 'in the flesh'. Once I even saw one being passed off as the real thing at a local music store.
I feel that fairly accurate 4001 replicas are more of a problem than the poor ones, as they can be more easily passed off as genuine Rickenbackers, specially if the parts on them are replaced with real Rickenbacker parts.

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker Copies
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:23 pm 

My main bass until I'm done working on my (real) 4001 is an Ibanez 4001 copy. It sounds really good for being a bolt-on. It's only single truss rod and mono output though. It's a decent bass, good tone, stays in tune, loud, though nowhere near as good as a real one, obviously.

I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with it when I finish working on the real one. Originally, I was going to sell it to my roommate's friend (who currently plays a cheapo P-bass and was looking for something better sounding), but I think that might be illegal. If I keep it, it'll end up becoming a back up I guess.

On a sidenote, I'd definitely like to see Les Claypool playing a 4003.

Board index » Just Basses