Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: NEW STRINGS TO TRY
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:23 am 

hi everyone, i have a few rics , and i have been playing them since 1979, i have always used rotosound roundwounds, so i thought i would try a different brand of string, i opted for the warwick black label roundwounds, they actually sound really good to my surprise, they arent as bright as the rotosounds but offer a better bottom end, and i think with the ric tending to be bright anyway gives a really nice balance to the sound of the bass, the biggest difference is on the e string, the e is much beefier sounding, i can recommend these strings to anyone looking for a change of sound.

Post subject: Re: NEW STRINGS TO TRY
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:31 pm 

If you like the Warwicks, which are, of course, a contract-made string, you should love the RIC stock set.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:26 am 

iiipopes wrote:
If you like the Warwicks, which are, of course, a contract-made string, you should love the RIC stock set.

What are you implying?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:58 am 

I'm not implying anything. Just stating what it is. There are very few actual manufacturers of bass strings, and even less suppliers of the raw wire to make the strings. Most "company name" strings are made by someone else.

RIC strings are, also, but the difference is they are up front about it, and Mr. JH has spent a lot of R&D to come up with a set that sounds great on a RIC bass.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:49 pm 

iiipopes wrote:
I'm not implying anything. Just stating what it is......

I though you meant something more cloak and dagger like they are the Euro version of Ric strings, or something like that.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:38 pm 

iiipopes is correct. Most brands of strings are just repackaged ones that are made by the few actual makers of strings that exist.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:10 pm 

I can attest to the fact that Ric branded strings are ideal on a Ric bass. I too was a former Roto user, as well as many other brands of strings. The Ric branded strings sound best, to my ears.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:18 pm 

I recommend Circle K Strings over all other round wounds. Made in-house by some very sharp folks in Seattle. The closest set to the RIC stock strings is probably the Balanced Standard 102, but in my opinion these strings play and sound much nicer.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:57 am 

Thank you cassius987 for the recommendation on the Circle K strings. I got the .102 set and LOVE them. .045, .059, .079 and .102 in standard length, traditional tension. These are just what I was looking for!

Before these I used D'Addario ProSteels (didn't like them) and Curt Mangan strings from Pick of the Ricks (these were ok) and, of course, the RIC strings. The Circle K's are by far the best sounding...for me.

--jack

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd like to point out that we don't usually permit endorsements of other brand goods here, although we'll indicate if we've had a positive experience with a particular product.

In this case, I'm going to keep an open mind, even though we have not tried the strings in question. Looking at their website I see a few things that don't completely look right to me but until a pattern of problems or issues with them should arise, I'll allow this info to stand as a courtesy.

Board index » Just Basses