Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: 4004
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:23 pm 

its been awhile since ive been here, anyway, im just curious if they still are making any 4004's because im seriously in the market to buy one. did they halt production? or are they being made?

Post subject: Re: 4004
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:16 pm 

I think they wait until there are enough 4004 basses on order to put them into production. They are seriously awesome basses, As I say, the the 4004's are the best kept secret in the world of bass guitars. Unfortunately the 4004's are overlooked by bassists. So order one! 8-)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:06 pm 

I believe 4004s are made in at least a couple of batches a year lately. My local dealer, Wildwood, almost always has a couple in stock it seems. I've played close to a dozen by now.

To me they are not different enough from a 4003 to justify owning one, when I already have so many Rics (four). Some people who really feel a big difference between the binding and the contoured edge may let that inform their decision or like the "cleaner" look better. The humbuckers do sound different than the Hi-Gains but it's not as drastic a change as you'd think, especially in the bridge position. To my ears, both pickups sound good, but the humbuckers are easier to dial in in a mix environment whereas the Hi-Gains respond more sensitively to the instrument's setup and have a wide variety of tones locked inside.

I think they are great instruments--especially now that the necks are two-piece, which is a stabilizing/strengthening design. But I don't find them vastly different from a 4003 when you look past all of the different superficial features. Maybe it's because I don't have a strong opinion about the stock 4003 bridge, or binding, or single coils. The way some people talk, those features are make-or-break.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:21 am 

Where I live my local dealer always has more 4004s than he does 4003s.
I was about to trade my '04 4003 with a toaster in for a green one then he sold it the day before. Last I was there (a couple days ago) he had 5 on the wall and I think one in the back but I'd have to check again.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:08 pm 

The 4004 is a great bass! I've played a number of them, and have always been pleased with the way they played and sounded, whether with the original, or with the new, 4003-style, neck profile.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:54 pm 

BlueRick wrote:
The 4004 is a great bass! I've played a number of them, and have always been pleased with the way they played and sounded, whether with the original, or with the new, 4003-style, neck profile.

You look good playing them. I think you should order one also! 8-)
Then I get to play it too! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:04 am 

The day I received my Cheyenne, after a 2+ year wait, was one of the greatest days of my life. While I am and always have been a huge fan of the 4001/4003, the 4004 just "does it" for me like nothing else. Besides the awesome good looks and clean lines of the 4004, is an underlying thunder that I can't get from a 4003. Maybe because I've strung mine with heavy strings and tune to D standard, but it really brings on the thunder with clarity and authority, far beyond any other bass I've owned. They are worth the wait, if you can't find one on the wall somewhere.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:31 pm 

2tensandan18 wrote:
The day I received my Cheyenne, after a 2+ year wait, was one of the greatest days of my life. While I am and always have been a huge fan of the 4001/4003, the 4004 just "does it" for me like nothing else. Besides the awesome good looks and clean lines of the 4004, is an underlying thunder that I can't get from a 4003. Maybe because I've strung mine with heavy strings and tune to D standard, but it really brings on the thunder with clarity and authority, far beyond any other bass I've owned. They are worth the wait, if you can't find one on the wall somewhere.

IIRC, they have more boom, or thunder, as you've pointed out. They're also amazingly feather-light, and that's saying a lot, because the 4003 is no anchor!

I love the 4003, and its predecessor, but I really like the 4004, and I didn't know if I would the first time I saw one, if that makes any sense.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:51 am 

One other thing I like is that there is no pickguard. This really lets a nice finish like BBR or FG show through. Plus, they look great with gold hardware.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:38 pm 

sorry guys for replying so late, i forgot i made this thread. anyway, i have a 4003 and love it so dearly. and i also had a chance to buy a 4004cii and turned it down for a 360. to be 100% honest.i dislike it. but now i have the funds for another guitar and a 4004 is what i have my heart set at so if someone could give me a website or list some dealers where they have some available, please post them cause i want one so badly. thanks guys.

Board index » Just Basses