Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: Looking for a new amp to suit my 4003
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:23 pm 

2tensandan18 wrote:
Amps are like shoes, you must try them on before buying. And volume or loudness is a product of speakers moreso than wattage. if you want loud, don't settle for anything less than a 410, or 215. Small cabs are great, but only when you have 2 of them. Also, I diagree that a 4003 bass is a "one trick pony". It's a 2 pickup bass, and as such, has a wide variety of tones available, including jazz if you're so inclined.

I agree. I think "one trick pony" is a label that can often be generalized for something that has a signature sound. My style is punk/rock anyway, so I think the Orange head will suit me fine.

Thank you everybody for the advice. I went ahead and ordered the Orange BT500 and SP410 cab from the links I posted. These deals saved me $450, and I think I am going to be very happy when they arrive at my front door next week. Again, thank you all.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:30 pm 

2tensandan18 wrote:
Amps are like shoes, you must try them on before buying. And volume or loudness is a product of speakers moreso than wattage. if you want loud, don't settle for anything less than a 410, or 215. Small cabs are great, but only when you have 2 of them. Also, I diagree that a 4003 bass is a "one trick pony". It's a 2 pickup bass, and as such, has a wide variety of tones available, including jazz if you're so inclined.

I'll agree with my neighbor. The range of sounds I'm getting from the new 4003 is incredible. Couple it with the correct amp and away you go!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:32 pm 

People who think Rick basses are one trick ponies have never played one...

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:34 pm 

I have two, had three. Soon will purchase another one.

I personally find these are. I do not see any problem with this. The only thing you know for sure with a universal tool is that it will fit nothing...

These are by far my favorite basses.

Maybe, in order not to ruffle any feathers, I should say instead ''Ricks have very strong character on their own''. These are not chameleons.

4000 '72 Fireglo
4001 '73 Jetglo
4003FL '07 Jetglo

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:43 pm 

MusashiX2 wrote:
I agree. I think "one trick pony" is a label that can often be generalized for something that has a signature sound. My style is punk/rock anyway, so I think the Orange head will suit me fine.

Thank you everybody for the advice. I went ahead and ordered the Orange BT500 and SP410 cab from the links I posted. These deals saved me $450, and I think I am going to be very happy when they arrive at my front door next week. Again, thank you all.

A Signature sound... You phrased it perfectly!

If you are into punk rock I think you will adore the Orange setup.

4000 '72 Fireglo
4001 '73 Jetglo
4003FL '07 Jetglo

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:39 pm 

MusashiX2 wrote:
Thank you everybody for the advice. I went ahead and ordered the Orange BT500 and SP410 cab from the links I posted... I think I am going to be very happy when they arrive at my front door next week.

Have you gigged this rig yet? We're hoping for a review!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:54 am 

Ampeg B100R works great with my Rick basses.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:38 am 

Perhaps portability sometimes presents some kind of compromise...? I love my 4003 out of my SVT-CL and the 8x10 cab--it gives me big, beefy, articulate lows without the annoying wet cardboard, flapping sound. But, the head and cab weigh in at over 200 lbs. I, too, may begin an expedition of sorts for a smaller, more portable amp, except I hate solid state amps as they are NOT my sound. Some hybrids are starting to appeal to me, but I'll have to sample more of these amps before I can make any kind of worthwhile assessment.

As for the one-trick pony claim...I really like the tonal range of the 4003--I tend to NOT use the neck pickup by itself, but I will solo the bridge pickup for a rather biting sound either for an entire song or for a specific part. Lately, I've been using that pickup more frequently and am really impressed; it balances nicely with the sound I get with the bridge on full and the neck about 3/4. But, really, while some basses are a one-trick pony (to me, a P-bass qualifies, but it's a nice trick!), I wonder: maybe the player is the one-trick pony and not the bass...?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:54 pm 

If you want a totally versatile, recording and gig worthy amp that has an external speaker jack, and don't want to break the bank, I highly recommend an Acoustic B100. You can grab one for about $250.00 and they are like heaven for the already killer bass you have. 100 watts through a 15" driver and add on a 2 or 4x10 ext.cab and man oh man !! My 4003 through my B100 and I can dial in any sound from the Ventures to Venom :)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:18 pm 

My Ampeg V4BH with an LDS 15/6 neo cab is pretty cool, and relatively portable for a tube amp setup. My SVT-VR with an 810 cab absolutely slays, but you said you were looking for portability.

Board index » Just Basses