Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: Just received my new 4003 Mapleglo
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:18 am 

The "injection holes" you mention are likely impressions of the ejector pins in the mold. The pins push the cooled plastic casting out of the mold. Ideally, the pins lie flush in the face of the mold but sometimes slip out of adjustment slightly, leaving either a slightly raised or slightly depressed circle. In any case, the impressions are almost always visible upon close inspection. The actual injection sites (sprues or gates) are likely along the edges of the castings and after the casting is cut off the sprue, the nubs are filed or sanded away.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:27 am 

Many years spent with FineScale Modeler gave you the proper terminology for plastic injection!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:11 am 

Who dat? Someone familiar with my past, apparently.

Yeah, I know just enough about injection molding to be dangerous. Col. Sanders is referring to my other interest area, plastic scale aircraft models. I was senior editor of FineScale Modeler for nearly 24 years before retiring in 2006. My journalism background and interest in Rickenbacker basses merge in my "retirement project," the forthcoming book, "Rickenbacker Basses - 50+ Years As Rock's Bottom."

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:55 am 

PaulBoyer wrote:

Yeah, I know just enough about injection molding to be dangerous. Col. Sanders is referring to my other interest area, plastic scale aircraft models. I was senior editor of FineScale Modeler for nearly 24 years before retiring in 2006. My journalism background and interest in Rickenbacker basses merge in my "retirement project," the forthcoming book, "Rickenbacker Basses - 50+ Years As Rock's Bottom."

Well then maybe I'll see you at Oshkosh in July where ALL planes meet!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:23 am 

PaulBoyer wrote:

In a previous life I was very much into plastic modelling. Kinda got out of it now. I am left with about 300-400 unbuilt kits of airplane from the WW1 era. Many of these being short runs from Veeday and other collectibles. I did prefer scratchbuilding and vacuforms. Got a couple of first prizes from the Noreastcon way back then.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:56 am 

After nearly a month spent with this new bass, the love is growing bigger each day.

What a beast.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:04 am 

Hi, i'm from Quebec Canada, i just received my 2012 mapleglo 4003 rick, i've owned a white 1975 4001 rick and and a 1977 mapleglo 4001 rick over the past, but my new 4003 is the most beautiful, with her's koa headstock wings and her's wonderful fingerboard, this bass is amazing, the craftmanship, the attention to details, i'm very happy, can't stop to look at it and play it, very good work Rickenbacker.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:09 pm 

ampeg wrote:
Hi, i'm from Quebec Canada, i just received my 2012 mapleglo 4003 rick, i've owned a white 1975 4001 rick and and a 1977 mapleglo 4001 rick over the past, but my new 4003 is the most beautiful, with her's koa headstock wings and her's wonderful fingerboard, this bass is amazing, the craftmanship, the attention to details, i'm very happy, can't stop to look at it and play it, very good work Rickenbacker.

Congratulations, you sound very happy! Cheers!

Board index » Just Basses