Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: New member reporting in......
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:28 am 

Hi....to everyone..
New Member reporting in....
I am new to this forum and new to playing Rick bass...
I played 6-string guitar for 35 years and just last year got sick of it and the bass player deep inside emerged...
I am much more happier musician playing bass :)
So I bought 4 various old P-basses 1969 through 1974... no offense.. To be honest..the P-Bass is a good sound but it's just getting old..I need more color in my sound, then I remembered my old bass player who used a 4001 and he had great tone...
For amps.. I had an old Ampeg SVT head from 1970 I bought from my old bass player back in the early 1990's still in my parents attic :) So, got that thing and blew the dust off..
SO I bought two 8x10 SVT cabs..One cab is from 1969, no handle and no wheels and is the better sounding with those original Alnico speakers, WOW what punch and warmth!!!... The other cab is an inch taller and is from 1974 and has the original ceramic speakers, not as good as the older ALnico speakers....
So I just purchased my first Rick..it's a 4001 from 1974..... And am total flipped out and can't wait to get it plugged into the SVT and get that tone I hear on those old YES albums!!!!!!!
The concern I have is the same as what i have been reading here... THE TRUSS-ROD issue.....
I like using BIG FAT strings because the TONE is HUGE and more FAT and SOLID ..I use either RotoSound RS66LE 110-85-70-50 when I want the Stainless Steel sound.... WHen I want the warmer midrange I use the nickel strings from EB Power Slinky 110-90-75-55 ..... This may be a problem with the 4001 neck ?????
Would the Rick Service Dept. update the truss rod to 4003 type??? WOuld that even help?? Or I just need to learn to play the Rick the way it "should" be played.... I really don't like using a E string smaller than .105 but I guess I can get use to it....
Any advice for a newbie :)

Chris

Post subject: Re: New member reporting in......
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:41 am 

Welcome Cerrem, it's good to have you here and welcome to the world of the bottom dwellers.

Sound's like you are planning on a HUGE sound. What watt head are you feeding these 2-8x10's with? Wow,that's full concert mode. I'm using an Ashdown 300watt head into 6x10's and have plenty of power.

As for your 4001, I have a 4003 so I don't have much experience with your model, but I do know that the 4003's have an upgraded set of truss rods over the 4001. The main thing I've read here is to watch the tension of the strings you use and when you do adjust the rods, move the neck to the position you need it to go to, then tighten the rods.

I'm happy with the Ric strings...I'm on my second set in 6 months, but I love their sound.

Cheers,

-Steve

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:25 am 

Well Chris. you certainly picked a great bass and rig to go with it.
The strings you mention would most likely have a bit too much tension for a 70's 4001, unless you are always tuned down at least a step on all strings. The Rickenbacker bass strings are very nice strings and in my experience with them, they last a bit longer than some other brands of nickle would strings. They are also made to be easier on the frets than most round wound strings.
You can also try D'Addario XL-170 gauged .100 to .45 for nicklewounds or if you want stainless steel strings, try the D'Addario Pro Steels gauged .100 to .45 whch I've had on a couple of '70's 4001 basses for years and haven't had a problem. The Dean Marley Blue Steels are also great stainless steel strings. Try them in the same gauge as the D'Addarios above.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:49 am 

for a 4001 I would say a 100 - 105 E string would be better ... less tension on the neck and less fret buzz ...

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:47 am 

I'd stay away from the heavier gauge strings on a 4001 and use the standard Rickenbacker strings and gauges to ease the tension on the neck, which is what I do on my 4001. The E and the D are lighter, but with an old SVT and two 810's maybe the resulting brightness might do some good and allow you to dial it in nicely enough to get the tone you like.

I understand your choice of cabinets because I have an old Sunn Model T and am having a heck of a time finding the right cabinet(s).

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:13 pm 

I envy you... course, if I got a fridge, I'd probably take out 4 of the 10"ers and put in a 15", and then get another 1X15" cab.

Hmm... maybe add to the list of what I'd do with a million dollars.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:39 pm 

Quote:
I envy you... course, if I got a fridge, I'd probably take out 4 of the 10"ers and put in a 15", and then get another 1X15" cab.

Got that covered :)
I also picked up a rare old Ampeg SVT 2x15" cab.... It is the exact same size of the 8x10 cab...with the grill cloth on you would think it's a 8x10 cab.... Well, i hooked up this cab with one of the 8x10 cabs in my apt a few weeks ago and the bottom was soo insane with the volume at 3 !!!! I poped the filaments in 2 light bulbs...I heard the water pipes rattling inside the walls and the window frame looked like it was going to bust!!!!
For a minute I felt my bladder jump against my rib cage...
I shut it down before any police showed up :(

Chris

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:12 pm 

Yes, I know quite well that the 2X15" cab is the same box as the 8X10" just with different speakers... lol... not that I've looked longingly at them on ebay or anything... of course not... hee hee

Yeah, right now I play through an SVT-350 with a 1X15" cab. I want to get a 2X10" cab to go with it sometime. While I'd love to have an 8X10" and a 2X15", I'd prefer if someone else carried it, ha ha. Plus, most of the clubs I've been to, they mic the amps anyway. But a 2X15"... hmmm

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:07 pm 

I found an old Sunn 215 cabinet for a hundred bucks. All I had to do was put a couple new speakers in it. Goes great with the SVT 350 I use primarily, as the Sunn is too loud for practice.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:47 am 

Quote:
Quote:

Got that covered :)
I also picked up a rare old Ampeg SVT 2x15" cab.... It is the exact same size of the 8x10 cab...with the grill cloth on you would think it's a 8x10 cab.... Well, i hooked up this cab with one of the 8x10 cabs in my apt a few weeks ago and the bottom was soo insane with the volume at 3 !!!! I poped the filaments in 2 light bulbs...I heard the water pipes rattling inside the walls and the window frame looked like it was going to bust!!!!
For a minute I felt my bladder jump against my rib cage...
I shut it down before any police showed up :(

Chris

Hell, I just about fell out of the chair laughing!! I can imagine!! I have a 2 Pro (also 300W) and know the solidity the Ampegs can put out. 4 x 10 + 2 x 15 = envy!! :D

Board index » Just Basses