Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: New member reporting in......
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:00 am 

Yeah, I'm think'in Cerrem has a part in his hair on the back of his head!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:36 am 

This you won't believe...
Back in the 80's when I played 6-string... My bass player used 3 Ampeg SVT heads...Old tube ones.. Then he use 3 cabinets, one cab per head...In each cab were 2 x 18" speakers in a folded horn configuration...Basically each cab was PA bottom... Well, this bass was soo deep that my singer would complain that he had to go take a dump within 10 minutes into playing...cause it shaked his gut soo much!!!!
The drum set was seperating and slidding away and the drummer kept pulling his drum set back together between songs!!! Finally the drummer went outside and found cynder blocks to hold the drum set together...well that didn't work either cause the cynder-blocks went slidding across the stage like they were in a ice-rink !!!
The bar tenders were mad because all the bottles and glasses were rattling and falling down behind the bar!!!!
A friend latter told us that he parked his van across the street from the club and used the back of the van to go with his girlfriend..then said he could feel the bass in the floor of the van :)

Chris

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:27 am 

yeah, that's the thing about those folder horns. They don't seem very loud up close, but far away, man they can project. Our band has a pair of 18" front loaded subs we use for indoor gigs. But, for outdoor gigs our soundman has an old set of 18" blackwidows in a folder horn setup that he uses. Needless to say, you can here my bass and the kick drum a couple miles away

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:44 am 

I'm really enjoying this thread! Thanks for the laughs!! Just remember, ya know your getting a little loud when the fillings in your teeth come loose!!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:46 am 

I have used Rotosound rounds on a 4001 I bought new in 1973. The neck has never been adjusted since the first year and the frets are in very good condition. Use what you like and the guitar will do just fine. The ultimate rig- stereo, rear pup through a svt, 8x10, front pup- acoustic 371, 1x18

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:17 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I envy you... course, if I got a fridge, I'd probably take out 4 of the 10"ers and put in a 15", and then get another 1X15" cab.

Hmm... maybe add to the list of what I'd do with a million dollars.

Got that covered :)
I also picked up a rare old Ampeg SVT 2x15" cab.... It is the exact same size of the 8x10 cab...with the grill cloth on you would think it's a 8x10 cab.... Well, i hooked up this cab with one of the 8x10 cabs in my apt a few weeks ago and the bottom was soo insane with the volume at 3 !!!! I poped the filaments in 2 light bulbs...I heard the water pipes rattling inside the walls and the window frame looked like it was going to bust!!!!
For a minute I felt my bladder jump against my rib cage...
I shut it down before any police showed up :(

Chris

Man, I hope you've got your own roadies with all that big stuff.

Listen to Paul Goddard of The Atlanta Rhythm Section if you want to hear some great sounds coming from a early 70's 4001 and a SVT.
TD

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:51 pm 

Thanks for sharing in all the laughs....those were some whacky band stories from the 80's I figure I would share....
I officaly am not a memeber of the Rick club as of yet...
I am waiting for the 1974 fireglow 4001 to arrive in about a week...
So far I have been feeling like I am young again... I drink a bit ands start cranking old YES albums at midnight listening to that great Rick tone from Chris Squire going thru a Ampeg SVT in anticipation to getting this Rick... I think my P-Bass's in the corner are getting the message that they are not the only Sheriff in town anymore...
I will go buy some Paul Goddard recordings and check that out as well... My favorite is old RUSH !!!! 2112 Album...
I am a big Jamerson fan ..so I think flat-wounds are in order to put on the 4001.... WOW...maybe now I can sound more acurate when I do Penny Lane, Rain and Taxman !!!!!

Chris :)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:24 pm 

I tried flatwounds on one of my basses once. They were a set of D'Adderio Chromes that I had gotten for Christmas. I went out and bought some new roundwounds the next day (I use D'Adderio roundwounds normally), because the flats had no bite, which I kinda needed.

I saved them though, if I find myself in a jazz band or something, I may try them again.

As for getting the same sound as on the original version of a cover, I don't bother. Generally, when my band covers a song, we change it either moderately or very drastically.

One thing about flats though, they do rip my fingers up a lot less.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:39 am 

As an addition to Sartori's Chromes experience, I use them on my 4003 with vintage neck pup and unwound bridge pup and can get bright tones but not the twang of the roundwounds. They also do thump really nice and clear. Clean/clear is a very good discription of their character, remembering they are flats. Low E notes are distinct, whereas roundwound Rotos or DM Blue Steels were not as defined. I really like them.

Board index » Just Basses