Board index » Just Basses




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: SILLY QUESTION
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:25 pm
Posts: 10
According to the serial number decoder my bass guitar was manufactured in March of 1963. It's a 4001S. I may sound silly, but I've heard that I should use a female cable instead of a male cable. I didn't want to pay attention to that, but I found a diagram of the rick circuits (the ¨mono¨) and the outlet is for a stereo
cable. Could you help me? What type of cable should I use on my old rick? Male? or Female cable???


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SILLY QUESTION
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 2588
Location: The Rickenroom
All instrument cables have plugs which are male. If you have a 4001S, it should be a mono output, therefore a standard instrument cable is fine.

_________________
Throw that piece of firewood where it belongs and get yourself a Rickenbacker!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SILLY QUESTION
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:25 pm
Posts: 10
Thanks bro


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SILLY QUESTION
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 12:44 am
Posts: 20
When they said "female" cable, are you sure they aren't referring to a Stereo Jack Plug which has the 1 connection at the tip and the other on the lower part of the shaft?

This would only be of any use in the Ric-o-Sound output socket.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SILLY QUESTION
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 2588
Location: The Rickenroom
Baker69 wrote:
When they said "female" cable, are you sure they aren't referring to a Stereo Jack Plug which has the 1 connection at the tip and the other on the lower part of the shaft?

This would only be of any use in the Ric-o-Sound output socket.

If kokytomv has a 4001S, the chances of it having a Rick-O-Sound output jack are very tiny.

_________________
Throw that piece of firewood where it belongs and get yourself a Rickenbacker!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SILLY QUESTION
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:11 pm
Posts: 219
Location: Hamilton Ontario Canada
kokytomv wrote:
According to the serial number decoder my bass guitar was manufactured in March of 1963. It's a 4001S. I may sound silly, but I've heard that I should use a female cable instead of a male cable. I didn't want to pay attention to that, but I found a diagram of the rick circuits (the ¨mono¨) and the outlet is for a stereo
cable. Could you help me? What type of cable should I use on my old rick? Male? or Female cable???



I would love to see some pictures of your bass!

_________________
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
===============================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620

Amps -
78 TR7
83 TR25


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SILLY QUESTION
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:25 pm
Posts: 10
Sorry for my silence but I've been a bit busy. I'll upload some pics of my Rick. It is a Rick 4001S manufactured in 1963.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SILLY QUESTION
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 1158
Location: NE Ohio
Rickenbrother wrote:
Baker69 wrote:
When they said "female" cable, are you sure they aren't referring to a Stereo Jack Plug which has the 1 connection at the tip and the other on the lower part of the shaft?

This would only be of any use in the Ric-o-Sound output socket.

If kokytomv has a 4001S, the chances of it having a Rick-O-Sound output jack are very tiny.

Especially, if it is from 1963.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SILLY QUESTION
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 12:44 am
Posts: 20
I do recall some years ago talking to someone when I was thinking of getting a Ric 4001 and they said "oh, you need a stereo cable for one of those".

I can't think of any other reason for someone referring to a cable as being "female" instead of "male"? They may have been referring to Ric's in general terms that have the Ric-o-Sound socket.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SILLY QUESTION
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:07 pm
Posts: 29
I've never used the Ric-O-Sound. I was told you had to have a Rickenbacker stereo cable. This was 78, and I did't question them. I still don't know how to use it, but I'll search the forum for answers (unless someone wants to exhibit their wisdom here on this thread...)


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Just Basses


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ
X