Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Reversing Keywinds on 4001C64S
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:34 pm 

I'm sure it's been asked and answered, but I can't seem to locate it using the Search feature so I will ask here and hope y'all are patient with me:

Is there a way to modify the key winds on the 4001C64s so that they turn "correctly?" If not does Rickenbacker offer forward turning key winds that will fit the 4001C64S without modifications?

Post subject: Re: Reversing Keywinds on 4001C64S
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:04 pm 

On the one I played, the machine heads looked quite similar to the ones on the 4003.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:09 pm 

The "reverse" keys on the C64 series are made by Gotoh. I believe they have the same footprint as the standard "Rickenbacker" branded tuners made by Schaller. However, I think there is a difference in the size of the post that goes through the headstock. The standard Rick tuners may not fit without reboring the holes. Not worth swapping in my opinion. Have you checked the C64 tuners to see if the keyes can be removed from the worm gear and inserted on the other side of each tuner? Seems that for so little time you're libel to spend actually "tuning" your bass, that you could just get used to the fact that they work the "other" way.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:28 am 

Paul, it's not a matter of getting used to it. Sometimes it's a matter of comfort. I had the pots on my V63 swapped because I wanted the volume pots closest to my hand. Much easier than reaching across the tone pots to adjust the volume. It's just a preference thing. Mark

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:21 pm 

Paul, I have looked at the tuners and don't see how they could be "rebuilt" so they turn correctly without damaging them. I was hoping someone on this site might know of a way to do this non-destructively, but perhaps it's not possible.

Mark, we agree that this is a matter of, if not comfort, then at least familiarity. Although my C64S has become my main bass, I also play guitar and none of my guitars have reverse gears. As such, it is disconcerting to try and tune my bass and have the tuners turn backwards after playing my guitars.

Question to either John Hall and/or The Powers That Be at Ric: Are forward turning replacement tuners for the C64S available through the Boutique, and if so what is the item number and price?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:15 pm 

Forgive me if this is dumb, but aren't headstocks with tuning machines on both sides usually equipped with both left and right turning machines? If so, couldn't you just move them top to bottom and vice-versa?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:27 am 

Then they would be mounted upside down.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:18 am 

The way the helix on the worm is machined is the key to which way it turns. But if the tuner has been manufactured with the worm stamped into the plate, you can't replace the worm with one with the opposite helix.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The standard modern #00550 key will retrofit the vintage bass and offer tuning action in the opposite direction. It's a tight fit due to the shank of the tuner wings being slightly larger but as long as the gasket has not compressed it will clear the instrument. If it does hit, replace the gasket or add another.

Note also that the modern key is chrome rather than nickel, so it will stand out a bit from the rest of the hardware.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:01 pm 

Thank you, John. I should be placing an order within the next few weeks.

Board index » Just Basses