Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: New pu's for a 1978 4001s
 Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:00 pm 

wmmnorthcutt wrote:
Been using the mute. I replaced it because the original had dry rotted. It sounds so good with that mute. I need to spray a little WD 40 at the screws because they're tearing up my fingers when I turn them.

I am not sure what would be best but I, personally, would not use WD40 for that.

Regarding the mute, do you play mostly in the "supposedly money" part of the neck or do you like to get up into the higher range of the fingerboard? If the latter, I'd suggest slicing the mute pad in half, along its length, and removing the part nearest the pickup while keeping the section closest to the saddles to make it much narrower as the mute does affect intonation because it becomes the witness point (effectively, the saddle) for the strings, therefore making the notes go sharper as you move up the fingerboard. This mod will help to minimize the sharpening of the intonation.

Post subject: Re: New pu's for a 1978 4001s
 Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:22 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty happy with it the way it is. I haven't used the mute in years, so I'm still in the discovery stage with it. I haven't noticed any intonation problems, but your mod is good to keep in mind in the even that I do.

Board index » Just Basses