Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Little help?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:08 am 

So my band played a pub gig last night and of course the stage was ultra small and cramped, so as my drummer is making his way to his kit he gets tangle in the pa speaker cable which in turn tightens and knock my ric off the stand and face down flat in the ground. So after a quick inspection I don't notice any real damage and it played fine for the gig but I'm wondering if I should have it checked out anyway.

Post subject: Re: Little help?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:46 pm 

It must have been a shock to watch it fall, but at least you know how it fell. The way in which it fell will give you clues as to what 'might' be damaged. A forward fall can be the better option if there is such a thing in this case. If it fell sideways then you would be worse off as the tuning keys get hit. I've seen guitar left without a mark from a forward fall, but sideways it ends up a lot worse, with big dings. and bent tuners!

As your the owner of this guitar you will know best any previous marks scratches dings that were there. Double check how it tunes up, check to see if all the tuners are straight. Look for any missing screws and generally inspect. It maybe an idea to plug it in to an amp where it's otherwise quiet, so you can listen and use all the knobs, switches and check all is working.

I hope all is well after a good inspection, I think you may have gotten of lightly this time.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:27 pm 

My Ricks are always placed away from the drum kit on ANY stage.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:53 pm 

V'73. I forgot to mention, check the nut, those graphite nuts are very tough it should be OK
If it was a bone or ivory nut or composite they tend to shatter or chip easily. It is still worth inspecting on your guitar though. I understand in pubs and small venues sometimes you are almost on top of each other and no space to move. Guitar stands don't stand up very well if they get knocked, the longer guitar racks are very stable but they are too big for a single guitar.

the Edge's guitars are in a huge rack that cannot be knocked over, and he has heaps of room on stage. That's a contrast to the Pub scene, but maybe look into a better stand or stable rack. Secure the drummer with rope to his kit, just feed him every few days! :lol:. :lol: ,,,,,till he's learnt his lesson! :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:08 pm 

Check for cracks in the pick guard around all the control knobs. Since the pots are mounted to the pickguard and over the control cavity, there is room for the pots to move down if there is enough force given to the control knobs (as in a fall-flat-on-face). I did that with one of mine, and the pick guard had radial cracks coming from two of the knob locations. You also may have some imprints of the strings on the finish of the fingerboard depending on how it hit the floor.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:48 am 

I hope nothing bad happened to your bass as a result of the fall! Unfortunately, no stand can ever be completely drummer-proof, but I find these to be about the best thing going: http://www.shubb.com/talon/index.html
I've used this stand for years, and in all kinds of tight situations, and nobody, not even the drummer, has managed to knock one down. I gave one to each of the guitarists in one of the bands I play in, and they love them, too. Being a lefty, sometimes having to set up stage left, venturing too near a freshly crashed cymbal, and watching chips of finish from the head of my bass flit gracefully to the floor, now, that's another story...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:53 am 

I use one of these Hercules stands: http://www.herculesstands.co.uk/product ... e_backrest . Your bass can't get catapulted out of the stand like with some other designs as it closes round the neck as you place your bass on it. You'd have to knock the whole stand over to risk your bass falling to the floor and these are pretty stable. There is always a risk where there is a drummer around though... :roll:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:51 am 

That Talon stand looks really nice... its compactness is a big plus in my book. Looks like it would be supportive and have a low center of gravity.

@OP: If you can't detect any issues in 1-2 weeks it's probably perfectly fine. Your drummer should be willing to help you a bit if you do need to repair anything, though.

Still, I don't get the consistent animosity towards drummers on a lot of bass forums. Guitarists, yes, they are indeed terrible human beings that should be dispensed with. (Kidding!) But drummers? Give the rhythm section some love bass players, you're in it after all! Now... BAD drummers... they are a different thing entirely.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:42 am 

cassius987 wrote:
Still, I don't get the consistent animosity towards drummers on a lot of bass forums. Guitarists, yes, they are indeed terrible human beings that should be dispensed with. (Kidding!) But drummers? Give the rhythm section some love bass players, you're in it after all! Now... BAD drummers... they are a different thing entirely.

My remark was based on a gig I did a few years ago where right after I set my S/5, '75 4001FL and '73 4001 into a multi guitar stand, my drummers cymbal stand with the crash cymbal on it, fell over and went straight for my Ricks. Because of the shape of the stand, my Ricks narrowly missed disaster with the stand catching the top of the stand. The cymbal stopped by a hair before where the neck joins the body from the bass side cut-away. This drummer was a very good one and not known to be a bonehead. Therefore when I got over the shock and no damage was done, besides, he almost cried in his sincere apology, so I couldn't get mad at him, but I did move my Ricks.
From then on, my Ricks stay away from drum kits.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:51 am 

I don't use stands, when not being played, said instrument is in it's case.

Board index » Just Basses