Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: GK Backline 600
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:02 pm 

Hey fellow bottom enders, I just bought a GK Backline 600 Head because my other bass head just gave out and I needed one quick. I was wondering who here uses/used one and how it paired with you Rick? Your thoughts and experiences..

Post subject: Re: GK Backline 600
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:50 am 

There is one at at a home studio where one of my bands rehearses. I also have one that I somehow acquired a few years ago from a guitar player who had no use for it. My Ricks sound good through it. It's up to the player to dial in a good tone. There is plenty of flexible tone control on the unit. I'd much rather plug into my Markbass Little Mark Tube or SWR SM400 heads, but the GK Backline 600 head is far from being one the worst that I've ever plugged into.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:14 am 

I recently tried a GK Backline 600 paired with an Ampeg 810 cab with one of my non-Rick basses. After a few minutes trying to dial in a good tone, I was not impressed and put it back on the shelf. YMMV,

--jack

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:31 pm 

The one I played was kinda muddy, I had to turn up the treble and high mids and cut the lows and low mids to extreme degrees to get a usable tone out of it.

Could have just been a dud, though.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:26 am 

That's been my experience with all the GK bass amps I've ever tried. "Muddy", and with settings like Sartori mentions, BARELY usable. Maybe it depends on who is playing or what style of music, or some combination thereof, because I've heard other people play GK rigs, and the tone seemed fine, and the settings didn't look extreme...

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:14 am 

There's a HUGE difference between the normal RB series amps, and the Backline series. A 700RB is a powerful, punchy amp with plenty of grunt and growl, while the Backline series is, by design, a budget oriented low end series. Entry-level is a good way to put them, and affordable. But not in the same league as the professional RB series, at all.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:19 pm 

I'm new to Ricks, but I'm running a 4003 through a GK 700RB-ll head, and an Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab. I haven't played anything through this amp set up that didn't sound really good. The 4003 sounds the best of any. I realize I'm not using the GK Backline 600, but I have used one recently in a local shop to try out a couple of different basses. They sounded fine. I prefer the GK's over the Marshall's, and Hartke heads as well. I hope you find the sound to go with the 4003.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:55 pm 

With a Ric I prefer playing through an Ampeg or Orange.. for me...do not really like the GK tone with the basses i play.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:11 pm 

Another vote for GK RB series. I am running a GK 700RB-II through a SWR Henry 8x8. Extremely nice. The Backline series are average at best.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:19 pm 

About a week and a half ago I tried my 4003 through an Ampeg SVT-7PRO/SVT-410HLF. I changed out my GK700RB-ll head for the SVT-7PRO. I was already using an SVT-410HLF cab. The sound was similar from one head to the other, but the 7PRO had more power, and a headphone jack.

Board index » Just Basses