Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Rickenbacker quality
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:11 am 

i just want to say how impressed i am with my new 2012 4003 mapleglo, i have owned many Rickenbackers in my life, but this new one is just incredible. Rickenbacker standards are getting higher each year , i can see and hear improvements from last years basses. the tone from this bass is as good as a mature 4003, one thing i did notice is the weight of this new one, it is really heavy!! which is a good thing for me, i have noticed over the years the heavier the bass is, the better the tone. thats just my experience, does anyone agree with me??

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker quality
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:07 pm 

that's good to hear... I have been on the fence for a new ric 4003 for almost 2 years now... but qc issues and complaints have kept me shy from buying a new model... maybe next year...now if MF will ever offer pricing like they did last year...maybe sooner

PS... any tail lift on your new 4003?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:28 pm 

Hi jav, none what so ever, in fact i have been all over this bass and can not find one single flaw, and i am fussy very fussy, if Rickenbacker made every 4003 like this they would not have any complaints. The E string is spot on too all the strings sound even, the caribbean rosewood is beautiful, a great contrast with the maple body, one thing i did notice was the weight of the bass, it is very heavy, i am not complaining, sounds as good as any mature 4003. so no complaints from me . i am a happy customer. thank you Rickenbacker.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:48 am 

I couldn't agree more about the quality. I have a 2011 4003 Jetglo and just got my 2012 4003 Fireglo. I too am very fussy and these two basses are just outstanding. Not a single issue or complaint. Keep up the fantastic work RIC. Now I need to start thinking about what my third RIC bass is gonna be. :D

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:39 am 

Ok sounds good...time to get off the fence and get one! So the only decison left is which one. fireglo or mid blue!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:36 am 

i think the new mapleglo is stunning , the wood used on the headstock wings is a lighter shade now and looks stunning, brings out the grain of the wood. i have always had 4003,s with a paint job, so glad i have a mapleglo to show off the beautiful wood grain.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:57 pm 

in reality any serious issues (other than finish, is the yellow binding issue resloved?) should arise during the 5 yr warranty period...so I prob might choose to get the 4003 over another J Bass...

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:35 pm 

The finishes have been very stable for many years now, but especially so since they started switching over to UV-cured varnish (c. 2009 or 2010 I think).

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:58 am 

I also was very happy with the build quality of my 2011 Mapleglo. But based on my limited sample of 1 each, I find that my 2004 is on top quality wise, followed by my 1990 then my 2011. The routing on the 2004 is the cleanest if have seen in a 4003. One can say who cares about about the freakin routing... But if a job deserves to be done, it deserves to be well done!

Soundwise these are all different and well complimentary. Ditto for the necks. All very different but I cannot pick a clear winner. After playing 5 minutes on one, it usually become my favorite neck, until I pick the other bass for 5 minutes.

But one can definitely not go wrong by choosing a new one. Would it be only for the beauty of the new type of rosewood used!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:40 pm 

Since I can only afford to keep 2 basses, it needs to do everything my P w flats cant do... I always thought the 4003 was as versatile as a J bass anyway.

Board index » Just Basses