Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker quality
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 am 

The 4003 is very versatile jav, i play mostly between the bridge and treble pickup, for punchy bright tone, if i want a more mellow tone i play up at the neck pickup, and if you want a really mellow tone switch the bridge pickup off. very versatile bass. and if you want to really experiment use ric o sound and split the pickups up to send to two amps or processors, it is hard to imagine a more versatile bass to be honest.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 pm 

how has neck stability been with the newer 4003s being produced...?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:50 pm 

If you have a P, a 4003 will give you more tones you don't have now than a Jazz. There is a lot of overlap with the Jazz neck pickup and the P pickup, whereas there is a lot less (but still a little) overlap with the P pickup and the Ric bridge pickup.

I can only speak for myself but the neck stability on my 2010 4003, which I no longer own, was tops. I only had to adjust it a couple of times, and only very small adjustments to fine-tune the relief to my particular tastes. While I have not always heard positive things in my experience the new Rics are among the best they've ever made.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:29 am 

Quote:
jav wrote:

Like cassius, no issues for me either. Just the monthly fine tuning to get the neck exactly where I want it. Pretty easy to adjust despite all the noise you may hear.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:54 am 

Colonel Sanders wrote:
jav wrote:

Like cassius, no issues for me either. Just the monthly fine tuning to get the neck exactly where I want it. Pretty easy to adjust despite all the noise you may hear.

Monthly? That often? I haven't had to touch the neck on my 4002 in twenty years! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:55 am 

Right now i only have to adjust my p (the newer necks with graphite rods) once or twice a year.. I hope the new 4003 are that stable....btw i never change string gauges...always the same tension.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:24 am 

As long as you stick with one set of strings (same gauge, outer wrap, and brand), you should have no issues whatsoever with neck stability. About a year ago I changed my 2010 4003 setup from being tuned DGCF back to standard tuning. The set of strings I went with has been fantastic, so my string safari is over with. I haven't touched my 4003's neck since (over a year and counting).

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:25 am 

jav wrote:
Right now i only have to adjust my p (the newer necks with graphite rods) once or twice a year..

If not more so in my experience. I just tinker a lot with my instruments; it's fun for me to play with the setup and figure out what works best. The only times I adjust my instruments "for real" are if I change to a radically different type or gauge of string as coolingitdown indicated. If I don't do any radical changes like that for a while, chances are the neck hasn't moved. I do not notice the seasonal changes lots of people report with their basses, but maybe Denver weather is just that way.

But why believe a bunch of folks on the internet? Find out for yourself. A lot of dealers give you a grace period to figure out if you're getting on with the instrument, so you always have that safety net, and then RIC gives you a 5-year warranty on top of that.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:32 pm 

got my hands on the new Ruby Red 4003 that came in at my local shop... not a big fan of any red color... but for those who like red...this is the nicest color i've seen!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:09 pm 

How did it sound jav?? did it feel good in your hands??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Just Basses