Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Curt Mangan strings - WOW
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:28 pm 

OK, if your tired of another "this is the best string" thread, you won't like this one, BUT, I have to give a recommendation on the Curt Mangan nickel strings. Like most of you, I've tried MANY brands, styles and gauges. Many sound very similar, others don't live up to the online reviews (IMHO). I had a set of 105-45 Curt Mangan strings laying around for over a year and decided to give them a shot. Acoustically, they sound very tinny/trebly. However, plugged in the bass is remarkable and with the bridge pickup, the classic Rick growl is off the charts. To boot, using the bridge pickup with the "classic" tone selected, I get an exceptional slap tone. I have a feeling these will finally be THE string for my 4003. If they make a set slightly heavier, I would probably at least give them a try, but these 45-105s are really, really good and the tone is JUST RIGHT.

Interesting side note, I had DR hi beams on before in the same gauge. I didn't actually measure the thickness of the strings but the Curt Mangan ones seem thinner. They also seem to be noticeably lower tension, which I personally like. I suggest you at least try them!

Board index » Just Basses