Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: 4004Cii vs 4003...Help!
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:01 am 

alright so i purchessed a rickenbacker guitar back in the fall and absolutely fell in love with it and now i have convinced my parents to purchess me a ric bass for my highschool graduation present in june (they were going to get me a lap top... i figure id get more use out of a ric, think of all the valuable time i would waste on a computer that i could be playing a ric!)

but i am debating between a 4003 or a 4004 Cheyenne series.
Im also debating finding an old beat up 4001 that would run for cheap and i wouldnt have to worry so much about giving it a beating live (the first show i played with my ric guitar i fell into the drum set and one of the cymbols put a big old scratch on it)

I play dancable bass oriented punk music on the heavier side of the spectrum with multi part vocals, sometimes we incorporate synthesizers and moogerfooger pedals and things of that nature. I play out of an old Concert Sunn Bass amp with the original 2x15 Sunn Cabinet. I love the natural oldschool distorted bass tone i get with this monster. My Current bass is an old 85' guild pilot that is slowly dying on me.

Any advice you could give on which model would best suite my needs and the pros and cons of each let me know, thanks a lot!

Post subject: Re: 4004Cii vs 4003...Help!
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:00 am 

get one of each and take them both out gigging ... alternate sets with each bass ... that is what I do ... it makes for a fun evening out ...

If you play punk a 4004L would be a good fit ...

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:06 am 

Dont get so wasted, you may do like me when i was young, drop your 1st ric and crack the next on both sides. you know the old saying.CRACK KILLS. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:05 am 

I think the 4004L is a sweet bass, and especially sharp in jetglow. There is surely something cool about having an old 4001 around, but an old bass isn't going to be able to handle as much gigging as a new one. I like the idea of getting both, of course. My 4001 is great for recording.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:53 pm 

If I was you I would just go for the brand new 4003 because of A)The price is very reasonable for a brand new Rick and besides if you get an older one you will be paying up to the same price or even more for and older one than the brand new one.
B)You will have brand new warranty since you would be the original owner.
C)Rickenbackers are built even better now than they where before and they where built pretty damn good back then but they are even better now.

The bottom line you can't beat a new Rickenbacker bass, don't get me wrong on and older Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003, if you have that kind of money to spend for both, I really think you are going to be really happy with the newer Rickenbacker 4003 and just think you'll have a solid warranty that will be in your name.
FISH

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:32 pm 

the best Ric bass for punk is the 2030 ... second best for punk the 4004L ... third best 4003 ... that is my opinion ... also the 4003 is the most versatile of the 3 basses and the 2030 is hard to find ...

Board index » Just Basses