Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: need new amp
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:39 pm 

Check out the Fender Bassman lines...I'm using a 2002 400H w/4-10" (horn shut off) and 1-15"...this thing sounds like the thunder...has great tone...I think the newer line of Fender Bass amps are underrated....Their price on the combos may intrest you..

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:11 pm 

I've been trying a Gallien-Krueger Backline 115. Is not a big amp but it's very good size/power for what I do. Sounds really nice for a solid state amp.

I'm considering it seriously to stay with me :D

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:19 pm 

Quote:
I've been trying a Gallien-Krueger Backline 115. Is not a big amp but it's very good size/power for what I do. Sounds really nice for a solid state amp.

I'm considering it seriously to stay with me :D

I use a genz-benz 100, it is a combo with a 15 and a tweeter and it sounds great. give it a try. for bigger gigs I use my harkte 3500, which has just been repaired and a harkte xl-410 bottom. I think I'm going to use a y- splitter this coming weekend, we have an outside gig, and run both amps. I'm wondering what they both will sound like together.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:57 am 

Quote:
100 tube watts with folded horn speaker cabs like the old Acoustic ones would break windows. And that price seems pretty decent for an all tube head - offshore construction keeps the price down, hopefully the quality is there. Look what Ampeg or Mesa gets for an all tube head.

Damn right---big difference in power between a solid state 100W and tube 100W. Even without a folded horn cabinet, a tube 100W can out-pressure a comparable solid state head.

I have a 50W Vox AC50 Head that is louder than a 150W solid state amp that I am trying to get rid of.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:39 am 

Quote:
Quote:
100 tube watts with folded horn speaker cabs like the old Acoustic ones would break windows. And that price seems pretty decent for an all tube head - offshore construction keeps the price down, hopefully the quality is there. Look what Ampeg or Mesa gets for an all tube head.

Damn right---big difference in power between a solid state 100W and tube 100W. Even without a folded horn cabinet, a tube 100W can out-pressure a comparable solid state head.

I have a 50W Vox AC50 Head that is louder than a 150W solid state amp that I am trying to get rid of.

There is a punch with tubes you just don't get with SS. I can set up my SVT 3 Pro and SVT 2 Pro to tonally be the same but the 300 tube watts into the SVT410HLF has so much more punch, heft, solidity than the 450 MOSFET watts.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:48 pm 

Way more than you want to spend but 70's SVT's kill everything else even the new Ampegs which are still nice IMHO especially with the original 8 x 10 cabs. I also say all tube amps are the only way to go. An all tube amp becomes part of your instrument, they have a give and take that others don't have even hybrids.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:41 am 

I picked up my hartke 3500 this morning and it sounds great. I do miss the all tube amp sound, but the power of 350 hartke watts is hard to bet. I will hold on to it until it breaks again. LOL. I have two outside gigs this week so it better hold up or its in the river.LOL peace

Board index » Just Basses