Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: neck adjustment and setup 4003
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:35 pm 

I also forgot to add I have all the tools needed and a straight edge that is notched on one side and straight on the other it was made just for the Rickenbacker bass I have never used one so some instructions would be helpful like what to look for and all that stuff if any body else is looking for on I got it on pick of the ricks web sight for I think 28 dollars but any one who has knowledge on Rickenbacker basses who would want to share some of there setup skills would be valued thank you for your help

Post subject: hello every one
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:05 pm 

if any one reads what I posted help would be valued

Post subject: Re: neck adjustment and setup 4003
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:25 pm 

I learned everything I need to know about instrument setup from Dan Erlewine's book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0879309210), and everything I needed to know about Rickenbacker setup specifically from Joey's Bass Notes (joeysbassnotes.com) and the helpful folks at the Rick Resource Forum (rickresource.com/forum).

I'd suggest you start with those existing sources of information.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:14 pm 

There is so much info on set-ups on this forum, joeys bass notes in addition to this is very comprehensive. Joeys bass notes are well worth a read. If you absorb all this info you will have all the knowledge you need. Of course if you need any help after that we will help you out.
Knowing the theory is one thing, gaining the practical experience takes a bit longer, but it's all fairly easy with a basic setup if you have the correct tools.

Protecting your guitar from any damage when doing a set up is something that is important.
Here just a few things I seen happen over the years.

Dropped tools hitting the guitar. scratching the finish with either the ball end of a string when being replaced, or scratching of the head stock. Spilling lubricant or spraying or applying too much oil, graphite or polish to the guitar.

If you're not accustoms to working on guitars just take your time and take care of the guitar when working on it.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:14 pm 

There is so much info on set-ups on this forum, joeys bass notes in addition to this is very comprehensive. Joeys bass notes are well worth a read. If you absorb all this info you will have all the knowledge you need. Of course if you need any help after that we will help you out.
Knowing the theory is one thing, gaining the practical experience takes a bit longer, but it's all fairly easy with a basic setup if you have the correct tools.

Protecting your guitar from any damage when doing a set up is something that is important.
Here just a few things I seen happen over the years.

Dropped tools hitting the guitar. scratching the finish with either the ball end of a string when being replaced, or scratching of the head stock. Spilling lubricant or spraying or applying too much oil, graphite or polish to the guitar.

If you're not accustoms to working on guitars just take your time and take care of the guitar when working on it.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:38 pm 

I have read joeys bass notes I am just being under confident my strings have just enough room to vibrate my action is low I read joeys bass notes before I found this thanks so if your 9th fret has just enough room for a piece of paper to slip though it then it is adjusted right one more thing should the rods be even or can one have more tension than the other I have read both if any one knows please tell me thank you that pickup bezel is also real good if any of you were looking at it thinking about getting one I like mine

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:43 pm 

I work on all my guitars and treat them like they are gold it is just the double truss rod it bothers me to not know if it is not adjusted right but it has to be the strings are low they just have enough room to vibrate the truss rod are as equal as they could be if that matters thanks if you have any more tips please tell thank you

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:05 am 

Don't let the double truss rod system bother you , it's a lot more accurate then a single rod system, and easy to use. It's impossible to know if the exact same tension is on both rods, and this is not the aim. While it is good to keep both nuts at a similar tension, each rod acts somewhat individually. The aim is to get a straight neck. OK how straight is straight, and how straight should you set up your neck???. If you capo the first fret and fret the 15th fret at the same time on the low E string, the gap under the 7th or 8th fret should be close to .003. Sure it can be a tad more or less, but to give you an idea, .002, .003 up to .005 is fine. However if you get past .006 or .008 then it's too much relief. Feeler gauges are better than a piece of paper, however a piece of writing paper is about .002, so your neck is very straight. I wouldn't even touch it! If your actions low that's great, as long as your not getting any major buzzing when your playing it as normally then all is fine.

If you use feeler gauges it's very accurate, and a measurement you can refer to at another stage down the track. The main thing re working on the truss rods is that you use the Rickenbacker nut driver, it's a must have tool. Don't be tempted to ever use anything else or you will damage your guitar. Be careful with the truss rod cover they snap and break easy. Glad to hear you treat your guitars like gold.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:29 am 

It sounds like you did a very good setup!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:59 pm 

that was the info I needed thanks very much my action is low I don't get buzzing unless I pick it very hard which I don't really do thanks for all of your help my mind is know at ease thanks a lot one more thing has any one used those thomask enfield I don't know how to spell it but they cost a bit more than Rickenbacker strings I was thinking about it but don't know at the moment but any way thanks for all of your help I use the factory gauge Rickenbacker strings

Board index » Just Basses