Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Best Bass Amp for a 4003
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:26 am 

What, in your opinion, is the best bass amp for your 4003, to get that classic Rickenbacker tone? which strings?

Post subject: Re: Best Bass Amp for a 4003
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:42 pm 

Which "classic Rickenbacker tone," McCartney, Geddy, Squire, etc...

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:08 am 

All of them. Try before you buy. Determine a budget. Read reviews, especially for durability. Find one in your budget that has good reviews for durability and sounds good to you and a person knowlegable about what a bass is "supposed" to sound like that you take with you shopping.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:04 am 

Speaking personally,I'd go with Rotosound strings and an Ampeg(preferably tube,but more expensive) rig.You'll get the classic sound out of almost any amp,it just depends on how big and clear you want it.The older Sunn amps were great,but the brand is out of business.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:51 pm 

My 4003 sounds very good going through a TC Electronic, RH450 / BC410. Strung with D'Addario ETB92 Nylon Tapewound Strings.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:20 am 

Im currently using the Rick-O-Sound feature. bass p/up into a 220watt Ampeg BA115HP. treble p/up into a220watt Ampeg BA210SP. crazy loud, great tone. A friend of mine is offering me a Phil Jones D-600 head for $300, which is a great price. Id have to get a cab though. what are your thoughts on this amp head?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:14 am 

I try to get *my* tone prior to the amp. I play in a lot of different situations and sometimes direct is the way to go. I use a Sansamp RBI. That way I don't have to depend on an amp to get a great snarly tone.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:24 am 

If your looking for the Chris Squire, Geddy Lee Roger Glover kind of tone, you'll want stainless steel roundwounds. Not only is there the RotoSound RS-66 Swing Bass set, but there are several other really good stainless steel roundwound strings sets that will be kinder to your frets, and in my own opinion sound better. My first choice is D'Addario ProSteel EPS-170. D'Addario recently came out with a line of Flex Steels. I've not yet bought a set, but I tried them at the NAMM show and they felt and sounded really good. I think it's there answer to the DR Hi Beams sets which are also very good, but more expensive. Other good stainless steel strings would be the Dean Markley Blue Steels and the GHS Super Steels. If you try a string set that's different from what you are currently using, try to find a set of the same or similar gauge so you'll spend like time haven't to tweak the set-up.

Amps: Ricks sound good through most well made modern bass amps. Cabinet and amp designs have really come a long way lately. I'm usually playing through either an SWR SM400 amp or a Markbass Littlemark Tube amp into either an Avatar Neo B212 2x12" or a Genz Benz Neo-X 212T 2x12" or a Markbass 104HF 4x10". In any combination of the above, the sound is great. Much of your tone with come from your instrument set-up, playing technique and style as well as you dialing in the parameters of your gear.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:43 pm 

None! :lol: I use two Line6 Pods.

I run the neck pickup into a Bass Pod using an Ampeg model (I guess the SVT) for some sweet low-end.

I run the bridge pickup into a Pod XT using the Marshall Plexi model with the "classic distiortion" pedal. This is where the magic happens.

The outputs go into a small mixer, and I get a pretty nice Chris Squire sound. It's not perfect, so I am always tweaking and looking for advice on how I can get more of that South Side of the Sky "gurgle" with my 1986 4003.

I can get you more specific settings if you are interested. I don't have them handy.

I think I'll try some ProSteels, too. Thanks Rickenbrother!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:22 am 

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
None! :lol: I use two Line6 Pods.

I run the neck pickup into a Bass Pod using an Ampeg model (I guess the SVT) for some sweet low-end.

I run the bridge pickup into a Pod XT using the Marshall Plexi model with the "classic distiortion" pedal. This is where the magic happens.

The outputs go into a small mixer, and I get a pretty nice Chris Squire sound. It's not perfect, so I am always tweaking and looking for advice on how I can get more of that South Side of the Sky "gurgle" with my 1986 4003.

I can get you more specific settings if you are interested. I don't have them handy.

I think I'll try some ProSteels, too. Thanks Rickenbrother!

I do the same thing, even the same amp sims LOL. Try adding a bit of chorus to the treble pickup. It will give you that Squire tone.

Board index » Just Basses