Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Thanks to Mr John Hall
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:43 pm 

In reference to my topic regarding "WEAK PICKUPS" below, your suggestions is fantastic!!!!!You are the man! You save me money for not buying a new pickups - bypassinga capacitor works. The sound of the real RIC came out. Lots of kha-boom and kha-shing on the bass!!!!!!

I have to put away my well respected Fender Jazz and I am now officially one of the Rickenbacker brothers. For me, Mr John Hall you are the Godfather of the Rickenbacker modification.

The only thing I noticed with the old rickerbacker bass is the paint - they start cracking. The lacquer paint of the old Fenders are better and stronger. A better primer, more coatings and curing. Maybe you can do something about this.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

ric0sound

Post subject: Re: Thanks to Mr John Hall
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
The only thing I noticed with the old rickerbacker bass is the paint - they start cracking. The lacquer paint of the old Fenders are better and stronger. A better primer, more coatings and curing. Maybe you can do something about this.
Mmmm, I don't THINK so! We use conversion varnish which is much more resistant to just about everything than either polyester or nitro. It's also much more labor intensive and expensive to do but we're happy to do it because it's better.

As far as cracking is concerned, it's a matter of proper storage and care, with regard to humidity and temperature. And that's not just for our instruments but all makes. In any case, I'll put our finish up against anyone's for cracking, checking, gloss, or durability.

I'm wondering whether your statement is based upon personal experience or something someone told you . . .

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:43 am 

I agree with Mr. Hall...not only would I put Rick paints and finishes up against anyone else, I think they're BETTER than all others, and I've owned MANY other guitars...Gibson Les Pauls, high end Fender strats and Teles, Epiphones....the Ricks OVERALL are of a much MUCH higher quality....and for considerably less $$!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:19 am 

I'd have to agree about RIC's finishes, there isn't many guitar builders out there that I've seen that could even compare.

Then again is an instrument isn't taken care of you'll find problems with anyone's finish.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:57 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Mmmm, I don't THINK so! We use conversion varnish which is much more resistant to just about everything than either polyester or nitro. It's also much more labor intensive and expensive to do but we're happy to do it because it's better.

As far as cracking is concerned, it's a matter of proper storage and care, with regard to humidity and temperature. And that's not just for our instruments but all makes. In any case, I'll put our finish up against anyone's for cracking, checking, gloss, or durability.

I'm wondering whether your statement is based upon personal experience or something someone told you . . .

It is from my own experience and observations. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks again Mr John Hall. I'll write to you again.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:21 am 

my ric is 27 years old...........and the finish is like the day it was built............top quality in my books........

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:52 am 

Quote:
Quote:

It is from my own experience and observations. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks again Mr John Hall. I'll write to you again.

Could be the temp swings and cold winters in Canada causing the cracking your observing. Just a thought.

Board index » Just Basses