Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: 4004 Series
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:28 pm 

Just curious, I like fretless basses.....anyone know of any 4004's that have been converted to fretless?

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:40 pm 

IIRC, there is one in Oregon.

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:06 am 

I own a 4004 Laredo. It is the bass that I play the most. Before that, my go-to instrument was a 1980 4001.

I have found the to e of the bass to be highly versatile. The neck pickup gives me a deep tone and the bridge pickup is bright and loud but the brightness can be lessened by using the tone knob.

When both pickups are switched on, you get that traditional "Ric" growl, but the volume is a little diminished. It's a good sound for a bass solo.

I have used both flat wound and round wound string on this bass and have been happy with the sound of each. The neck is thick and sturdy and the action can be lowered fairly close to the fretboard.

I travel with this bass. It is sturdy and requires very little neck adjustment. Note: always loosen the strings when adjusting the truss rods. I broke a truss rod by not doing that. The good news is, it was easy to replace.

The bridge is easy to intonate if you like doing your own setups.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:42 am 

Here a small hot horrorstory with a happy end. A few weeks ago we had about 38°C in Germany. I missed to bring my 4004 Cheyenne from the roof down into the basement. The end was that the wire of my Neckpickup was torn off as a result oft the heatstretching. I went to see the Gitdoc for my Rick. He checked out that only one coil oft he humbucker was broken. So he soldered a single coil of it and he found out that Bridge and Neckpickup are the same and changed the bridge to the Neck. The „new“ single coil went on place oft he former Bridgepickup and he threw the toddle switch out. The 4004 is now switched like a Jazz Bass. One poti for each pickup and a bass/trebble Poti for Both. The sound is now even better than before und I can mix the sound oft he pickups however i like. I can say that I´m not sad about what looked like trouble in the beginning.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:38 pm 

Having individual volume controls does open up a nice range of other tones from these great basses. I modded my old '04 Cii ten years ago, adding a VVT harness I made and I also put toasters in the bass (at the time I did not give the HB-1 pickups a real chance to get to know, I love them these days, especially in Laredos).

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:36 am 

If me ever get me hands on a Cheyenne, me gonna call it "Little Big Man"
Burps! :geek:

Board index » Just Basses