Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: A Rickenbacker owner once again
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:36 pm 

New member of the board. My very first bass was a Rickenbacker, having been convinced by a college friend, and in the summer of 1980 I ended up spending $425 of my summer savings on a white '78 4001. (I sometimes still kick myself for not buying the 4005 that was hanging on the wall next to it.) I had that bass until it was stolen out of my living room in 1989. A parade of other basses followed, most of which stuck around, some "normal" (like the 1982 Fender Vintage '57 Precision) and most not so normal (a '67 Hagstrom 8-string, an '87 Guild Ashbory, a '70 Ampeg/Dan Armstrong "See Through," and how about a '63 Ampeg by Burns of London "Vista Sonic" bass (with "Wild Dog" tone setting)), but through all of these, I never stopped missing my old Rick. I kept my eyes open for it in local shops, and monitored eBay hoping it would turn up, even after all these years.

Then last week while perusing yet again the eBay offerings I saw a gorgeous 4003FG, and it was in a local shop. I was hoping I could trade my '72 Fender Tele Bass for it, but ended up just buying it outright. It has one of the more exquisitely figured rosewood fingerboards I've ever seen on any instrument. When I picked it up, it immediately felt familiar, played great, sounded stunning. It was shockingly easy to hand over my credit card. (Now I really have to sell that Tele bass!) I went right from the guitar shop to band rehearsal and spent the next three hours playing and grinning.

Kudos to Rickenbacker for not only making them just as good as "the old days," but continually upgrading their quality. My '78 4001 was a great bass, and I'd welcome it with open arms if it ever came back home, but this 4003 is a much more versatile instrument. I'm so happy to have a Rick back in my hands.

2015 4003 Fireglo
1983 4003 Walnut

Post subject: Re: A Rickenbacker owner once again
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:35 pm 

I'm another return to a Rickenbacker 4003 also. I sold a couple off, and I'm now back in to stay, with a 2015 4003 Walnut. Best of playing with you Ric's. Image

GK:MB Fusion 500 / Ampeg:SVT-212AV

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:49 pm 

I realize I didn't come back and tell the rest of the story, almost a punchline.

I had tried trading my '72 Tele Bass toward my new 4003, but the numbers just didn't work for the store. Shortly after my initial post above, I was cruising Craigslist and found an ad for an '83 Ric 4003 . . . the seller was hoping to trade for a Tele Bass. Long story short, after being Ric-less for 26 years, I now have two 4003s. Unfortunately the neck pickup was dead, but it's on its way back from a rewind by Tom Brantley and I should have it reinstalled on Friday.

2015 4003 Fireglo
1983 4003 Walnut

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:13 am 

Welcome back to the Rickenbacker "fold." You know, there's a book out there, too.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:08 pm 

Welcome, Paul. You must be new around here, I see you just recently joined. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:49 pm 

Paul D. Boyer wrote:
Welcome back to the Rickenbacker "fold." You know, there's a book out there, too.

Oh, I have it! I learned a few things.

2015 4003 Fireglo
1983 4003 Walnut

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:27 am 

I don't know how that "joined" date got there. I've been here since the redesign and start of the forum. I did have trouble getting on back in June, so maybe when I registered again, it reset my clock.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:01 pm 

Paul D. Boyer wrote:
I don't know how that "joined" date got there. I've been here since the redesign and start of the forum. I did have trouble getting on back in June, so maybe when I registered again, it reset my clock.

I guess that explains why you have only 3 posts at this point in time!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:28 pm 

Aw come on, Paul. We all know you're just a newbie who thinks he knows ALL about Rickenbacker basses...
;) :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:19 am 

Well, when this "newbie" gets out of bed in the morning, absolutely NOTHING feels "new"!

Board index » Just Basses