Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: 4004 Series
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:50 pm 

Hi, first post here. I'm currently using a 4003. While it's certainly a nice bass, I'm considering an upgrade to a 4004. The 4004 seems to address every one of the shortcomings of the 4003 (you know - the obstructed access to the strings, the bridge that never seems to stay adjusted quite correctly, the 60-cycle Single Coil Hum, etc.).

Strangely, I don't see many of them in the wild, nor do they seem to be often discussed on this forum. I'm surprised Rickenbacker's customer base isn't flocking to them, given that it appears to be a superior instrument.

I'd be interested in hearing about other people's experience with this bass. I'm especially curious to know why there isn't more interest in it from 4001/4003 players. Yes, I know it doesn't sound exactly like the 4001/3's, but you can get pretty close (if you want to), and with all the other features and improvements I'd have figured it would have caught on like a house on fire. I've been using one on loan for several weeks, and IMHO it's a quantum leap over the 4003, which is great instrument in it's own right.

Comments?

Post subject: Re: 4004 Series
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:13 pm 

I wouldn't say that either the 4001/3 or 4004 is superior over the other, just different. If you prefer a more traditionally built bass guitar, a 4004 just might be for you. In my mind the 4004 series is the best kept secret in the world of bass guitars.

Until at least one high profile bassist uses a 4004, most people will go for the model they've grown to love seeing/hearing many great bassists play.

My experience with 4004s has been positive. I love them, so I have a few. I regularly gig with a 4004 in one of my bands. By tweaking your eq and playing technique, you can get a sound that's very close to a 4001/3.

I used my '04 4004Cii on this recording (played fingerstyle):
http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/mp3/Perf- ... angers.mp3

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:22 pm 

I too think they are different, not better or worse. I have a '93 Laradeo which I had converted into an 8 string (a brilliant conversion I must say) and a '93 4004C that is now my primary playing bass. They seem to have a Gibson Ripper on Rickenbacker steroids type sound! Unmistakably Ric but different. They are light weight and huge in sound and tonal capabilities. Don't get me wrong, I have a '74 4001 which I have had since '74 (my favorite neck ever and my used to be go to bass!!) and I have a 4003s5 which I love to play as well. But right now the 4004C answers most of my needs. Yes, one of the best kept secrets in all of Ric bass-dom!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:20 pm 

The 4004 series are fabulous instruments, with a Rickenbacker bass family tone but with more of everything along with deadly quiet pickups.

The only famous bassists playing them are John, Joey and myself. :mrgreen:

The Three Js. 8-)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:13 pm 

jps wrote:
The 4004 series are fabulous instruments, with a Rickenbacker bass family tone but with more of everything along with deadly quiet pickups.

The only famous bassists playing them are John, Joey and myself. :mrgreen:

The Three Js. 8-)

Oh, hey, there are a "few" more. I'm probably the only one in New Zealand, but I LOVE my 4004. I've just recently bought another one, Joey has it now, but it'll be on it's way to the Southern Hemisphere before too long...

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:33 pm 

Are Joey and Diane hand delivering it? 8-)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:13 pm 

jps wrote:

That would be very nice!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:51 pm 

Rickenbrother wrote:
jps wrote:

That would be very nice!

Yeah, it would...
8-)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:26 pm 

I have owned over 20 Rickenbackers ...

Currently all 3 that I own now are 4004s. My favorite one is modified to have stacked pots and single coil pickups

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:50 pm 

Rickenbrother wrote:
I wouldn't say that either the 4001/3 or 4004 is superior over the other, just different. If you prefer a more traditionally built bass guitar, a 4004 just might be for you. In my mind the 4004 series is the best kept secret in the world of bass guitars.

That's interesting, I've always regarded the 4003 as the more traditional instrument. It has design characteristics similar to a lot of early basses - the thin frets, guards over the bridge and pickups, similar to what most manufacturers were producing in the '50s and '60s. The earlier Fender basses had similar features. Most basses were built that way when it was a relatively new instrument, before manufacturers knew how they would actually be played. (Notice that the earlier instruments from both Rickenbacker and Fender had what we're accustomed to calling the "thumb rest" mounted below the strings, rather than above them, I suppose the assumption was that you'd be clutching it with your fingers, and striking the strings with your thumb.)

After people started to figure out how to play the things, the manufacturers adapted the instruments to reflect how people were actually playing them - getting rid of things like thumb rests, the obstructions over strings, and putting the wider frets on them.

My guess is that Rickenbacker introduced the 4004s in response to those demands, rather than update the 4001/3's since it was already an iconic instrument, and those updates would have altered it too drastically.

Rickenbrother wrote:
Until at least one high profile bassist uses a 4004, most people will go for the model they've grown to love seeing/hearing many great bassists play.

Well, there is Lemmy! Unfortunately his signature model was a limited run. Good luck getting one of those without taking out a second mortgage now!

But I suspect you're right. I got the 4003 because it was familiar to me. I didn't consider a 4004 until I made a wish list of features I wished the 4003 had - and then realized Rickenbacker was already manufacturing such an instrument, right under my nose.

Ric5 wrote:
Currently all 3 that I own now are 4004s. My favorite one is modified to have stacked pots and single coil pickups

Chalk up another point in favor of the 4004 - easy to mod! Remove 2 screws and you're in! My experience with the 4003 was that it was painful to disassemble, and more painful to put back together! I do wish they had kept the traditional Rickenbacker triangular fret markers on them, though. I can see why they got rid of some of the decorative stuff such as the neck bindings, but the fret markers aren't a hindrance to playing or maintaining the instrument, and they're one the features that makes a Rickenbacker so distinctive.

Board index » Just Basses