Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: New to this Forum
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:42 am 

Hello all Rickenbacker fans,

Just joint this forum. Thanks for letting me in!
I'm a Dutch guy living in Finland. I started playing bass at the end of the 70's when I bought a brand new Cimar (by Ibanez) Japanese Precision kind of bass. I still have it and it's not a bad bass at all actually.
Somewhere in the second half of the 80's I purchased a used black Music Man Stingray of '77 complete with Trace Eliot stack. The stack I sold, the bass is still here and has become worth at least 4 times what I paid for it.
I also have a Fender American Standard Cherry red Jazz bass, year 2011, I think.
I had for a short time the Epiphone Jack Casady. Not bad but not my cup of tea.
And than we get to this year. Always liked the Rickenbacker basses and their sound. During a business trip last May, I had some time to spare in New York and walked into Sam Ash's shop in Manhattan. I came in saw a 4003W and it was love at first side. I tried it and I didn't want to leave without it. I did but later that week I picked it up anyway and brought Wally home (Wally Nut from Walnut...).
I still love it although Larry Hartke could have warned me at the store. Warned me that you don't touch your other basses anymore! Fantastic bass. I made some minor adjustments to the set-up, put flat-wounds on it (sorry for that :oops: ), put a little thumb rest on it and I am as happy as can be. I love the sound of flat-wounds in combination with plectrum but I also use my fingers, depends what the song calls for.
About one month later I saw an local add here at home for an unused 4003 in Midnight Blue. The price was ridiculous, so I bought it. It really was ttally new, not ascratch on it. Some of you may want more than one Ric but it just didn't made sense to me. Played the same, same modell, only different color. So I sold it with a €400 profit ;) .
So I at the moment I have 4 totally different basses but almost only use the Ric.
I have 2 amps. For rehearsals and smaller gigs I use a TC Electronic 215 combo and at home I have a really nice Roland combo the KC-350. Have it for years and it is ideal for at home. It has 4 channels and you can plug in anything at the same time. Sounds great. Probably too clean for guitar.
Besides that I use a Keeley Bassist compressor (perfect!) and sometimes a SansAmp Para Driver DI (also great thing).
What do I play? Well, I started during the punk period in The Netherlands. Later I have played many different styles but the main line nowadays is pop and rock music, at home much motown, soul...

Greetings to all!

Post subject: Re: New to this Forum
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:13 am 

Welcome to the RIC forum! I've also used other basses during the years,such as a Gibson Thunderbird and Fender Precision & Jazz basses. But in the end I've always come back to the Rick.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:36 am 

I also am new, and thanks for allowing me to join! I have a 1978 4001 and I had a DiMarzio J-Bass pickup installed in the bridge position back in the early 80's.

Also in my current line-up is an Aria Pro II AVB40 fretless and a Peavey Millenium 5

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:33 pm 

Santa Ana and Markneukirchen. I think you can guess the rest. "If in doubt. consult your dealer" (Old Vinyl slogan from the sixties)
2 of each and more 2 cum.
Cheyenne, SWalnut, Bubinga, Turquoise Blue.....
Do I need money? Yeaah, actually I do!
Maybe I´ll try to turn it into some crowdfunding project. Like the guy with the "Lazor Razor"

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:17 pm 

Hi rickenbacker players, i starter pay bass in 1981 with a El Degas precision, i bought my first Rick in 1987, it was a 1975 4001 white with black pickguard binding and trussrod cover, with chrome hardware, i player and owned over 26 basses since 1981 fender jazz precision, Spector, bc rich eagle USA, ibanez, Cort, etc...., but My heart is always to play a rickenbacker, i just bought a Rickenbacker 4003s mapleglo, it's the fifth rickenbacker i owned, it's my preffered.

Board index » Just Basses