Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: 4004 Various Modifications
 Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:37 am 

I am presently playing a 4004 Laredo and have been considering a few different Mods.
From what I see on the Forum, some player prefer to go with a Volume, Volume, Tone set up as opposed to the stock set up.
Some player prefer a Master Volume, Pan or Blend Knob & a Master Tone Control. Some even suggest a Master Volume with a push/pull to split the coils from a Humbucker in Series on each P/U to Single Coils on each P/U. I was thinking about a set up of 2 Volumes with a push/pull on each Volume to split the coils on each P/U from a Humbucker in Series to Single Coils and a Master Tone OR a Stacked Volume / Tone for each P/U and leave the Stock P/U Selector Switch in place. Has anyone tried any of these potential setups or have a different idea ? If so what, if any suggestions can anyone make. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated

Post subject: Re: 4004 Various Modifications
 Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:13 am 

So why did ye by a Rickenbacker then :?: :roll:

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are quite a few thread here about mods to the 4004 circuitry. "Search" is your friend.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:28 am 

4004C - I have a blend (replaces the switch) and a Volume and Tone. I had the pots and all upgraded to 500K. The Volume and Tone are push/pull switches to tap the coils on the pickups. The Blend knob required a little enlarging of the switch hole so would need a washer there if i ever go back to a stock setup. The 500K circuitry is a big range enhancement in the sound and tone. I like it as the original setup never quite got as bright as I wanted. HTH.

Forgot... I love the Blend knob!!!!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:42 am 

The first problem with a blend knob is that due to its construction, it is very difficult to get the wafers to line up precisely to get "full on" both pickups in the middle. The second is that most people expect the knob to work like a home stereo balance knob, and have seamless sweep from one pickup to the other. But in fact, on a passive circuit, the center position causes an impedance drop and possibly a volume drop, and a slight thinning of tone, unless something active is used to keep the impedance buffered and the relative levels of each pickup up.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:31 pm 

iiipopes wrote:
The first problem with a blend knob is that due to its construction, it is very difficult to get the wafers to line up precisely to get "full on" both pickups in the middle. The second is that most people expect the knob to work like a home stereo balance knob, and have seamless sweep from one pickup to the other. But in fact, on a passive circuit, the center position causes an impedance drop and possibly a volume drop, and a slight thinning of tone, unless something active is used to keep the impedance buffered and the relative levels of each pickup up.

On a ZON bass I used to own Joe put a buffer preamp in it for me to try out. The wiring harness was separate volume and passive tone roll off controls for each pickup, plus a pull switch on the volume controls for series/parallel switching of the humbucking pickups. What I found was around a 6dB increase in output with both pickups up full compared to rolling down one or the other pickup as the two pickups were actively buffered from each other. There may actually be an advantage to having a balance control that is not actively buffered. IIRC, the Alembic blend control I had on a couple of their basses had a nice smooth transition from one pickup to the other and I believe it was not buffered, as it is before the active electronics with a single shared filter control, not two filters as on Series I or II electronics; again, IIRC.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:56 am 

Well, after careful consideration and reading all the other posts about rewiring to a V/T for each p/u or any similar set up for the 4004, I've come to the conclusion that I'll just leave my 4004 stock with the P/U selector & single V/T.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:53 am 

A great choice! But if you ever get the itch again, remember yo can go back if you keep the original harness. I agonized over my change for a year or so. The deciding factor was that with the addition of a small thin flat washer I could go back to stock in about 20 min. And only be out the cost of the new harness. But I agree the original sound is killer on the 4004 series!! play that thing like there is no tomorrow!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:49 am 

Well I'm getting that itch again to change the controls on my 4004 Laredo. I'm considering the following set up using 250K pots, [b][i]Stacked Volume / Tone for each P/U and leave the Stock P/U Selector Switch in place.[/i][/b]

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:54 am 

jc2940 wrote:
I'm considering the following set up using 250K pots

250K pots with humbuckers?

Board index » Just Basses