Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Tried out 3 4003's today!
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:59 pm 

All new in a local shoppe:
2011 Mapleglo
2015 Fireglo
2016 Midnight Blue

All of them had the same balance characteristics.

The MGlo had the hugest sound, fattest feeling neck.
The MBurst had the brightest and most clear sound and slimmest feeling neck.
The Fglo had great sound, too, and a fat neck like the Mglo. But it might have been because it was in need of a setup and the action was way high. So made it hard to tell.
The Fglo was the most visually stunning.

Sound diffs were probably mostly due to pup heights and strings, I would guess.

I was impressed by the consistency of the sound, playability, and good looks.

I wonder if the necks are being made slimmer in 2016, or maybe the 2016 Mblue just felt slimmer for some reason.

Anyway, I might look for a 2016 just in case the necks are slimmer in that year.

Still looking around for prices and deciding between Mglo and Fglo.
The Mblue was nice (blue is my favorite color), but the uniform colored back and neck wasn't very interesting to look at like the Mglo and Fglo grains and colors. But that is just a personal preference.

Post subject: Re: Tried out 3 4003's today!
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:14 am 

I envy you finding three in one store! Does anybody know if GC is still an authorized Ric dealer? Is it regional? My local GC (Braintree MA) hasn't had any Rics on display for a couple years now. For a while they would have one or two on a random basis, now nothing. I think you can buy them from GC online for store pickup only, so they nver see the light of day. Been wanting to try a 4003W or an S models since they came out, no joy at GC!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:14 pm 

I tried one today, with the intent to purchase a Mapleglo one. Was playing it, and noticed an excess buildup of the poly finish on the fretboard from eight fret to end of neck. Was very sad about that, the bass played so well. Because the store had it for over a year, Ric won't fix it under warranty, this , I find very pathetic for a company of their stature.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:06 pm 

Don´t know how it worx elsewhere, but in Sweden where I live the warranty starts to count from the day the customer buys it. How long it´s been in the shop doesn´t matter. I suppose the rules are pretty much the same everywhere. I mean the warranty is for the buyer and not the shop.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:47 pm 

I just picked up a used 2015 4003 in Ruby Red, and it feels so good to be back in the fold again!
I had been without a Ric for several years, and I'll never allow that to happen again.
The build quality is fantastic - the neck feels great, the sound is classic Ric, and the finish is stunning.
Good to know that some of the best things in life just keep getting better.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:50 am 

Micky wrote:
Don´t know how it worx elsewhere, but in Sweden where I live the warranty starts to count from the day the customer buys it. How long it´s been in the shop doesn´t matter. I suppose the rules are pretty much the same everywhere. I mean the warranty is for the buyer and not the shop.

Totally agree with you. My friend just bought a 4003, and lost 8 and a half months on the warranty, through no fault of his own.

A new purchase with no or reduced warranty should be greatly discounted, but I would suppose that's up to the dealer.

Board index » Just Basses