Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: what should I do now?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:03 am 

Quote:
thank you very much, all of you!

I've collected all input and printed it on one sheet, and I'll give it to that bass prof my father knows.

I'll let you know what's happening ...

love & respect

bb queen

Any updates? Did It get diagnosed yet?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:14 am 

I am investigating this E string phenomena....
I am doing lots of experiments in a scientific manner of course....
ANother observation is the way the E-string sits in the saddle, with respect to other strings due to it's larger diameter...The way the saddle is cut...How much of the saddle surface area is in contact with the string...also how tight or loose it is in the saddle...how deep it is in the saddle..as well as what the back angle is behind the saddle... When the action is lowered too low on some instruments, the back angle is reduced to much which allows more string movement in the saddle which may dampen the strings natural movement.... I will continue to search for a definitive answer to this as well as an applicable solution.. I will not stop in finding a solution, as long as it shall take....

Chris

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:35 am 

This is not a problem in design with Ric's! 99.9% of us have a perfect bass with a great E string. If there is a problem, especially on a brand new bass, then take it back & get a replacement. Why mess around with it? why let some so-called Professor look at it? It's under warranty. Get another one and start jamming the way you were supposed to in the first place.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:17 am 

Something I noticed with my bass as well as one other with a similar problem with low amplitude E-string..... The groove in the bridge saddle is cut in such a way that the E string is not aligned directly over the pick-up pole..
The A,D and G string are directly over the pick-up poles..but the E-string is the only one off axis....
Can anyone else look at thier basses and verify the alignment on the E-string on a "good" sounding Bass....
It is possible to start with a new saddle and re-cut it so the E-string is properly aligned with the pick-up pole.... I just want to make sure I am not barking up the wrong tree.... When I put my ear up the the body of the bass...all strings and all notes are nice and loud..I don't hear any cancelation/destructive notes acoustically... SO this may be a magnetic field issue with the pick-ups....

Best Regards
Chris

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:44 pm 

I had the same problem with on of my rics. I ordered a new saddle and recut it myself. I wish rics would come with adjustable pole pieces as some other basses do. Would eliminate this problem, or at the very least, make it less noticible.

Board index » Just Basses