Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: what should I do now?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:09 am 

Ok, I'll give it a try.

Is the problem present when you solo each individual pickup? Or does one pickup sound more "balanced" than the other ??

I've heard of people "flipping" their bridge pickups around 180 degrees to eliminate this problem.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:58 am 

Dunno.

the e-string doesn't "riiiing" like the others even when the bass is unplugged.

but we'll check that.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:57 am 

If it dosent ring properly when unplugged, it just about has to be a setup problem. Somewhere in the nut, bridge, or string.

Just for the heck of it, does a fretted "E" on the A,D or G string sound "dead"?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:17 am 

Beenie,

Do you live in Northern Virginia? I remember a couple of weeks ago that a young lady (with her dad) purchased a new Jetglo 4003 from my dealer. If that's you, you can always bring it back to the dealer. He knows alot about Rics and can help you out. It does sound like it needs a bit of a setup. Good luck.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:01 pm 

I have been monkeying with positioning magnets on the 4001...
What I am seeing so far is a magnetic situation on the E string...Based on the distance between the neck and bridge pickup and it's magnetic influence on the E-string..it could cause a destructive scenario... It would be the same for 4001 and 4003, since the 12mm diffrenece would not be a significance here.. I will further investigate...
Miss beenie, I suggest lowering your neck pick-up as low as possible just to see how the bridge pick-up responds to the E-string...
This E-string issue seems less pronounced, when using a pick than fingers..

Chris

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:57 pm 

no, any other E (on the other three strings) is fine ...

no, I live in Berlin.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:19 pm 

3 things: #1; loosen up the E string & slide it back & forth in the nut slot a bit to "seat" it in the nut. When you retune it push down on the string to keep it seated tight against the nut. #2; EQ is your best friend. Honestly, if you are running the RIC thru a rig EQ'd for a Stingray, you need to add back some low end. Stingrays have almost too much low end and too much output on the E string. #3 Raise the bass side of the p'ups just a tiny bit & lower the treble side a tad. Don't let some "Goober" mess with your truss rods. Most guitar store Tech's have no business messing with a RIC setup. I have been setting up my own basses for 27 years because of a bad experience with a Tech. If you want to try messing with the truss rods to fix it, loosen all the strings first. The turn each truss rod 1/8th turn clockwise. That's it!!! then retune & check it. If there is no change at all, It's probably not the truss rods. Always adjust dual truss rods equally & never more then 1/4 turn at a time. Give the adjustment a few hours of playing before judging it. REMEMBER: The factory setup on a RIC is 2nd to none. Because of the Thickness of the E string, It wants to be louder than the other strings especially up the neck. It's a blessing in disquise that The RIC's E string is not overpowering up & down the neck & I wouldn't have it any other way. Like I said; "Eq is your best friend" Just my 2 cents. I wish You lived in NC so I could plug it into my Rig & compare it to My RIC which is absolutely perfect. Good luck & don't give up on it and be careful who you let screw with your setup. Gerry

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:53 pm 

thank you very much, all of you!

I've collected all input and printed it on one sheet, and I'll give it to that bass prof my father knows.

I'll let you know what's happening ...

love & respect

bb queen

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:55 pm 

Also check for proper intonation.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:15 am 

When I change strings, I'll tune each string to pitch, then pull the string out away from the fingerboard and let it "snap" back, then retune. This releases the tension across the nut, and lets the string "seat" itself.

I picked that up several years ago from a Billy Sheehan interview I believe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Just Basses