Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: My E string is now gone!!!
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:46 am 

Well, I got my bass back today... It is a 1975 4001 ....
I had the Ric strings put on and intonated along with neck adjustment... Now I get the bass back and it lost all the character and bite it had... Now the entire E string has no volume or depth...No matter where I fret the low E string it's just dead.... The bass in general sounds lifeless and what was once my favorite bass is now worthless to me..I don't even feel like playing it anymore :(

Chris

Post subject: Re: My E string is now gone!!!
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:04 am 

Look to the neck adjustment as the cause, or maybe bad strings, but a whole set bad?!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:14 am 

sounds like a bad string ...

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:00 am 

I use to have a set of RotoSound strings on there when I bought it.... I measured the RotoSOund low E string with my mic and it was .090 Gauge... The bass "growled" like a animal and when I plugged it in my old SVT set-up it sounded exactly like old YES...
Now I have the stock Ric set on there that has a .105 for the E..
The entire E string is dead sounding, lower in volume by like -3dB ..... Now I am getting nasty wierd resonances I didn't have before...not fret buzz, but more like a faint fuzziness on certian notes...I am not a happy camper...
From now on I am sticking to doing my own work on the Rick... I might go back to the RotoSOund striongs but .090 is way too small for me for a low E.... I know the RototSound have more tension which can be bad, but can anyone tell me from thier experiences what is the biggest RotoSound gauge they safely used on a 4001??? I suspect I can use the RoroSound set with .100 on the low E , I belive the one with .105 for E might be too much tension for the truss rods?? Note totally sure, but any advice would be appreciated...
Know I understand why Chris Squire was soo damn adement about using the RotoSOunds on the Ric...

Chris

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Know I understand why Chris Squire was soo damn adement about using the RotoSOunds on the Ric...
. . . not that getting them free so his roadie could change them before every show had anything to do with it . . .

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:37 am 

Quote:
Quote:
. . . not that getting them free so his roadie could change them before every show had anything to do with it . . .

HA-HA-HA !!!!
You got me good with that one :)
But in all serious... Mr Hall, I am a bit sad over my bass's low E string performance at the moment, and I know you would like all Ric owners to be happy :)
SO if you could offer any suggestions for me to try out..I am all ears....

Chris

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:50 am 

Chris, I don't know who set up your 4001. I think the RIC strings sound great. If I got my grubby hands on your bass, I'd make it sound right!!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:14 am 

Quote:
Chris, I don't know who set up your 4001. I think the RIC strings sound great. If I got my grubby hands on your bass, I'd make it sounds right!!

Hey Rickenbrother!!!
I checked out your web-site..really awsome!!!
Whats funny is I am also originally a Bronx cat from the 70's and 80's.. I lived all over the Bronx.. I also started out with guitar and changed over to bass... I looked at your gear collection and damn you have some great stuff... I would only say i am surprised I did not see any SVT amps in there??
I am in San Diego now.. I pass through OC all the time on my way to LA... We should get together and check out the Rics sometime... I don't fualt the guy who set it up, I think i need to tweak it the way I like it..It's most likley my ear is use to the other strings...
If you play out with any bands, let me know I would like to check it out...

Chris

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:17 am 

Your probably used to the output and brightness that the Roto Sound strings have since they are stainless steel. The RIC strings sre nickle wound. Any stainless steel string set will give you more volume and brightness than nickle wound string sets. You can also try a set of D'Addario Pro Steels or Dean Markley Blue Steels gauged .100" to .45". Both sound better than Roto Sound strings in my opinion.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:19 am 

Quote:
Quote:

John, you've got to admit the Rotos make a RIC bass sound pretty good. Lots of testosterone. Redefines "sounds like teen spirit". :D

Board index » Just Basses