Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My E string is now gone!!!
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:20 am 

...it would be great to get together with another Bronxite in SoCAl!!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:13 am 

I've had a mid 70's 4001, and now I have a '03 4003. Both of them have had the same issue with the E string not having the same output as the other three strings. I play Fender, Gretsch and Danoelectro basses as well and I have never had the same problem with any of them. I love my Rick, but it needs more attention than any of the other ones. I've tried flats, rounds, truss adjustments. The E is the sticking point.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:32 am 

What is this???...bad E string on Rick bass week? I've owned, sold and played so many Rick basses, never had this problem with any of them. There were a few times when I've had a bad sounding string on Ricks as well as other makes of basses due to bad strings from a certain string manufacturer. I just don't use those strings anymore.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am 

any bass will sound bad with bad strings ... and every manufacturer can has strings within a set that are bad and as strings get older the strings get deader ... I was just playing my 4003s5 tonight ... it was dull and lifeless ... the strings were old ... I replaced the strings and it didn't sound much better ... the replacement set was too old ... so I removed that set and put on a newer set and now the bass sings ...

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:12 am 

Interestingly my E string needs to be tamed as it is the loudest of the 4 - I have to lower the pups on the E side of them. Not bragging, just interesting in light of the 3 or so different posters about low E output. I don't doubt you are experiencing this, its just interesting.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:37 pm 

Well....Heres the deal... Before I had the bass worked on, it was F###-ing pefect !!! All strings had great balance and the tone was very "woody" with a nice growl..I was the happiest person on the planet..I could not put this bass down... Well, what was done was the repair guy said the board was lifting slightly near the 1st fret on the G string side...well when I get it back he lifted up both sides of the board to clean up the old glue and re-glue and clamp it...Well it looks sloppy since I can see a tiny gap...Also the area under the truss rod nuts now looks hogged out a bit so a larger adjusting tool could fit with no problem now...
At this point the bass went from great to just about useless to me... I can't play it with out getting pissed off!!! Everytime I play any note on the E string it is like totally vanished...not only is the E string much lower in volume, which I could barely deal with, it has no sustain..so the note is weak and just dies with absolutely no resonance...
johnallg...what strings and gauge do you use???

Chris

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:23 pm 

seems that not only us girls have that kind of problem (check my thread).

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaze help anybody!!!!!!!!!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:10 pm 

Quote:
seems that not only us girls have that kind of problem (check my thread).

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaze help anybody!!!!!!!!!

Miss beenie....
I will analyze this situation in all out war with this bass.. I plan to X-RAY the neck so I can actually see the exact shape and positions of the truss rods in practice...
I will also signal inject frequency and measure resonance with a HP spectrum analyzer at work...
I have a few theories....I need to sort things out...
I take it you have a 4003 bass??? How old is your bass?? ARe you using the stock Ric strings that came with this bass or have use changed them to something else ???

Chris

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:53 pm 

Chris, just a guess on my part that the guy who re set your fingerboard didn't do it well enough. If the bass was fine before he worked on it and now it isn't, just doesn't seem right. Try the strings you know sound right to you. If that doesn't work, try a different guitar repairman. If you drive through the OC often enough, I suggest you give Steve Soest a call.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:04 pm 

whoa, how cool is that??? x-raying the bass, hey!

chris,

right, I got a gorgeous new 4003, my dad bought it (he is now fully fledged pissed (can I say that?) coz I nag nag nag about it all day long ;)).

well, I ve already put new stringies on it (that's how smart daddy is), rotosounds, lighter that the originals. changed the sound a little bit, but still ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Just Basses